Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner upgrades on a Gibson J-45 Modern Classic

dejavu

Hello all,

I've just purchased a 2008 (never owned) J-45 (no model name, but by the specs on it, it looks like a Modern Classic). I find the stock grovers a bit finicky, and I know that lots of people have upgraded to a number of different tuners.

Has anyone ever tried the three on a baseplate style tuners by Tonepros or Stew-Mac? I understand this type adds more resonance to the headstock. Anyone had experience with this?

Are waverlies worth it? How do the tonepros compare with the waverlies?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I played a recent J-45 the other day and I really did not like those big heavy chunky Grovers at all (I have two J-45's myself). The guitar sounded fantastic though.

Are Waverlies worth it? YES they are fantastic. I had Nickel Waverlies factory fitted to my Collings C-10SB and I think it was a $200 upgrade, but they are the best tuners I have ever come across on an acoustic guitar. They are smooth, accurate, and they look great too.

Sorry I have no experience with Tonepros.

Let us know which tuners you get.

I, too, have had a guitar with Waverleys (a Bourgeois) and will attest they are really smooth and precise. The question one has to ask oneself is whether the smoothness and precision you get is worth that much money. That's a question only you can answer.

That said, last year I stuck a set of Golden Age Restoration 3-on-a-plate tuners on my '98 J-45 and they've worked wonderfully. Should've done it sooner. They are available through Stewart-MacDonald.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm new hear (and relatively new to the Gibson world of acoustic guitars). I had a Gibson J160e reissue with a ton of issues before this J45.

The waverly's look awesome but are so pricey! Pricetag worth it, eh?:-k

Hey Dhanners263,

How was the fit of the tuners? Did you have to do a lot of drilling? I wonder if the tonepros ones will fit as well? Did you find that there was an increase in resonance over the stock ones?[thumbup]

The waverly's look awesome but are so pricey! Pricetag worth it' date=' eh?

[/quote']

I think they are absolutely worth it. It's so nice having that degree of precision and reliability in tuners.

Also they look awesome!

Hey Dhanners263' date='

How was the fit of the tuners? Did you have to do a lot of drilling? I wonder if the tonepros ones will fit as well? Did you find that there was an increase in resonance over the stock ones?:-({|=

[/quote']

The Golden Age Restoration tuners were drop-in replacements for the stock tuners that came on my J-45. The only drilling required was for the new screw holes. I didn't switch out the bushings because the ones on there seemed to work just fine.

As far as resonance, I never really noticed any difference.

I'm guessing the spacing is the same. If you're looking at tuners on Stew-Mac's website, though, you can click on the specs for each tuner and it'll pull up line drawings with detailed measurements. That'll tell you pretty quick what you need to know. For example, the spacing between the capstans on the Golden Age Restoration 3-on-a-plate tuners is 1.375" (34.93 mm), as you can see here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Golden_Age_Restoration_Tuners_for_Solid_Peghead.html?tab=Specs#details

... I've just purchased a 2008 (never owned) J-45 (no model name' date=' but by the specs on it, it looks like a Modern Classic). ... I find the stock grovers a bit finicky, and I know that lots of people have upgraded to a number of different tuners. ... I'm new hear (and relatively new to the Gibson world of acoustic guitars). ...[/quote']

Welcome.

Congrats on yer new J45. [biggrin]

And good luck with the tuner search (I'm weighing in for the Waverly machines).

How about posting a couple pics?

Pic posting help - http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=21335

Docwatsonfan,

Did you have to get conversion bushings for your tonepros?

BTW - they look awesome on your J45! I really like the classic look - which is why I'm leaning towards getting the three on a nickel base style...

Docwatsonfan,

Did you have to get conversion bushings for your tonepros?

no, I installed the tuners that are similar in construction to the original gold ones

they screw together, the front side has the hex to tighten, the tuner side has a male thread, the hex side is a female thread.....

it might be a cleaner look with the bushings, being there is no big washer or hex head showing and the diameter of the bushing head is smaller, but this style tone pro was a cinch to install

either way, the tone pros are really smooth , and have a great feel

here is a pic of a strat that I changed tuners on

these tuners needed the press in bushing, which luckily came with the exact size bushing that I needed

you can compare the look of the hex head/washer ( no bushing style) that I put on my WM45

to the tuners that are guided by the ID of the bushing that are on my strat

btw........congrats on the J45!

strattuners.jpg

I have Waverly's on my Martins but I like the Tonepro Kluson's on my J-45. I have the 6 individual machines - not the 3 on a plate. They work great and look great. I read somewhere the gears are made out of Titanium. I'm sure they will outlive me!

Really enjoy hearing about (and seeing) the experiences with the TonePros Kluson tuners. I have Waverlys on my OM and love them, but the TonePros just have the look like they belong on the J-45. For those of you who have had a chance to experience both the Waverlys and the TonePros, how do the gear ratios compare (I'm interested in your experience in practice compared to stock as opposed to specs)?

Thanks,

Guth

Plus one for tonepros. I have two J-45s and exchaned the gibson deluxe klusons to the TP klusons with white button.

Look great, and functin better. Also cheaper than the Gison brand. White button Waverlys are coming on my Martin 000-28V 14 fret neck. The Martin stock Gotohs are ...well...crap!

Guth-

To be honest, I've not noticed much of a difference in ratios of my Waverlys compared to stock or these Tonepros compared to the stock Gotohs. What I do notice is the aesthetic differences and how they perform. The Waverly's are just beautiful machines and so are the Tonepros. The Tonepros have some heft to them compared to the Gibson Gotohs. They feel very solid and smooth. Like I said, they will outlive me!

The Tonepros are the only machines I would have on a J-45.

I put tonepros on my wm45 ' date=' couldn't stand the big gold tuners...

I think they work very well for my "couch playing"!

[/quote']

That's a massive improvement on those big ugly gold things!!!

How about getting rid of those gold screws on your truss rod cover too and replacing them with some nice nickel ones?

So...I made a decision. I've gone with the three on a plate Nickel Tonepros and was able to pick up a few conversion bushings locally. So, when the tuners come in, as well as a colosi bone saddle, and new bridge pins (E to D - Ebony with a white pearl dot, G to E - buffalo horn with a white pearl dot), I'll let you all know how it goes - and I'll include some photos. Thanks to everyone who provided their comments - you've been very helpful.

[cool]

Archived