Gibson Brands Forums

What type of rose wood is this?

jamman

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of rosewood this is? i found it on a reissue an am considering buying it. Any input would be of great help. Thanks. Jamman

**********************************************************************************************

IMG_3167.jpg

**********************************************************************************************

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

*********************************************************************************************

IMG_3163.jpg

Thanks Joe, that's a big help.The guitar is a very bright sounding guitar and sounds like no other LP i have. or have played. I'll be picking the guitar up by the end of the week

and will fill in some more of the details. I will say that it does not fall into the time line for Brazilian, but my wife who is Brazilian, says it looks like it. She also gave me 3 different names used in Brazil for the types of rosewood they have used. not so much for making guitars (as she knows nothing about making guitars) but in everyday life. such as Macamaiba,Jacaranda De Bahia and Pau Brazil. She feels it's Jacaranda but neither of us are experts. I will update this, as i am finding this more and more interesting.

I will say that it does not fall into the time line for Brazilian' date=' but my wife who is Brazilian, says it looks like it.[/quote']

Man I hate to be the one to tell you this but I live close to brazil and that fredboard doesn't look brazilian to me. [biggrin]

Man I hate to be the one to tell you this but I live close to brazil and that fredboard doesn't look brazilian to me. #-o

I know, but try telling a Brazilian woman anything, lol. The board is different, that's where i leave it at . Also , the pics were taken with a flash, which lightens it up some. I've never seen a board like that one . I did pick up the guitar this evening and had a chance to play it for another hour tonight. The guitar is very bright sounding for an LP. different is good. i like it alot. It's a fine guitar. I don't say that lightly, something is different with this guitar. I cann't put my finger on it , and no not "MoJo".It's like no other guitar i've played before.

I posted some pics in the LP thread tonight. I was really looking for what people who know more than i do think.That's why i asked. So it's all good.

Side note.- My other home is in Bahia, so getting wood .... no big deal.

Thanks for your imput.

The board is different' date=' that's where i leave it at . Also , the pics were taken with a flash, which lightens it up some. I've never seen a board like that one . [/quote']

Looks pretty run-of-the-mill to me--though it also looks like the wood needs some oil.

And don't listen to Thunder. He's from Mexico. the last I checked Mexico wasn't very close to Brazil.

What i will say now, is that the guitar is a LPR0 50th.1960 Anniversary version 3, 1/500 . which i brought home yesterday.The guitar is basicly new. I bought it new. So it is a Historic Model.

I could be wrong, but in the Historics they use better woods. which is why i asked the question.Yes the board needs to be conditioned. Where ever it comes from really makes no difference. It's the total sum of the parts that make the guitar what it is.great sounding and great playing guitar. I put the question out there because the wife had told me it was Brazilian. Since she is Brazilian she would know better than me.

Thanks to every one for their imput, it has made this very interesting. I will do more of my own research into this,just for the knowledge and when i go down to Brazil i'll get complete answers.

When i know more i'll post it.

Thanks rockstar232007, For the pics. At this point i'm not sure what to think. I've done more reseach on the net and there no real defining answers.I do understand that every piece of wood

is different, so to find one to compare it to will be difficult. I will be in Brazil before the end of the year and i'll be able to get more answers there. even than, the best i maybe able to do is to

get some to use to compaire this board to.This is very interesting to me. In the end what really matters is the guitar. It's great playing and great sounding.

I did condition the board over the week-end and it looks much better now. I used the Gibson fretboard conditioner. when doing the conditioning i did get a sweet odor from the board. this is

supposed to be one of the signs of the type of wood it is. And, no not lemons.

The wife just took a look at your pics and said the brazilian should be much darker. I said that there are many different colors. She stands fast with her opinion. She is Brazilian so i will defer

to her on this. The bottom line is that , this guitar will be the last one i buy for a while, and it's a keeper. sweet sounding ,bright sounding, good clear bottom. but when drivin has good crunch.

It's a A+ Custom Shop guitar. imo the C/S did an outstanding job building this one. I will post a few more pics today or tomorrow to show the difference the conditioning has made. And close

ups that show more detail of the grain . Hopefully there might be some other opinions out there.

I took more pics today but they did not come out good , so these are ones i took right before and right after i conditioned the board this past week-end. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

before conditioning

IMG_0702.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All the below are after the conditioning. I use Gibson fretboard conditioner.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

since the conditioning the board has become darker over the last few days. I will try to take more pics in the near future, to post them .

thanks.

campfire, the last 3 pics were taken when the conditioner was still being absorbed into the wood. It has since become darker. I did find some ok pics from yesterdays shoot.

and i'll post them now . along with some shoots of the whole guitar. give me a few minutes to load them into photobucket. Also, from what i understand brw can turn black or many diffierent colors. I did post pics of the guitar last, week they are there but i have others. They are in the LP forum, from last week.

Ok, the pics that are lighter were taken with a flash. some without. I will not post all the pics i have has i've taken alot.So these are the ones i think show the color now .as of yesterday 5-12-2010. Also i feel the true colors do not come though to the way the guitar look in real life. It's darker , closer to the non-flash.pics.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no flash

IMG_1216.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

flash

IMG_1242.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

I think you get the idea . All comments are welcome, so feel free to chime in. I do know what some people think on this forum, but the guitar has the last word. like i've said before , if it is or

is not brw, really doesn't matter to me . I do find this very interesting as to all property's this guitar has. More than anything, i'm just glad to have it.

If she plays like a dream I wouldn't care if the wood came from my back garden... That's a nice guitar!!

FRET DOCTOR will give you better darker results than Gibson's conditioner ever will.....

Regards

If she plays like a dream I wouldn't care if the wood came from my back garden... That's a nice guitar!!

FRET DOCTOR will give you better darker results than Gibson's conditioner ever will.....

Regards

Thanks man, That's how i feel. I do have Fret Doctor but have not used it and may not use it on this guitar because

of what my wife tells me. If it is what she says it is , the wood will get very dark on it's own. She tells me that she

grew up cleaming and polishing this type of wood in her home. This was very common wood in Brazil years ago. I tend

to beleive her. fyi , i used the Gibson conditioner to put some mosture in the wood , nothing more. It was pretty dry.

And i've found in the last year, Gibson fretboards need to be conditioned. 1 or 2 times a year is all that's needed.

Thanks man' date=' That's how i feel. I do have Fret Doctor but have not used it and may not use it on this guitar because

of what my wife tells me. If it is what she says it is , the wood will get very dark on it's own. She tells me that she

grew up cleaming and polishing this type of wood in her home. This was very common wood in Brazil years ago. I tend

to beleive her. fyi , i used the Gibson conditioner to put some mosture in the wood , nothing more. It was pretty dry.

And i've found in the last year, Gibson fretboards need to be conditioned. 1 or 2 times a year is all that's needed. [/quote']You can use Fret Dr. on any type of rosewood. Your wife is probably referring to finished rosewood (i.e. furniture). Most fretboards (except maple) are bare wood, so they have to be conditioned from time to time, and considering that you live in FL, I would say that due to the climate, not very often. And 1-2 times a year actually sounds about right.

I got Fret Doctor recently and have not used it on any of my guitars as of yet. Since the board on this guitar is as different looking as i have ever seen, i will let the wood do it's thing

and condition it every so often. I don't want to do anything to change the color of it. As i understand Fret Doctor will darken the wood, which is fine , but for this board at this time

( it's new) i don't want to change it's apperence. Yes i do understand that Gibson dyes their boards , and there is nothing i can do about that. Also when the guitar goes to Brazil

the people who will look at it will have a better view in the most natural from i can show it in. Maybe my thinking is off about this part but sometimes doing nothing is the best thing to do.

Thanks man,great feedback.

Mmmh...that does not look like Brazilian to me' date=' here's the fretboard on my Explorer...

[img']http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/jorgeasc/Guitars064.jpg[/img]

Guitars062.jpg

I make no claims to be an expert or even know much about wood used in guitars. The other pic of "Brazilian rosewood"

I really don't know. what i have found on the internet is very interesting. BW can come in many different

colors,depending on where in the tree it comes from. if it's new or old growth or stump wood. I did find 1 site that

imports BW into Florida all legal and they show pics. This wood is for guitar making. nice site

Your board is a beauty and what i'd like to know is , did it come from Gibson that way, was the board conditioned?

If so, was there a lot of "dirt" on the board when you did the conditioning? I found that when i did the conditioning of

this R0, it was almost as "dirty" as when I cleaned and conditioned the board of the Ebony R0 i bought last year. It's a

VOS guitar. and that made me think.... What or how old is this board?. more puzzles.

I did take pics of both cloths when i was done. I found this odd. Also keep in mind that Gibson Colors their boards, so if

yours was not conditioned you'll see more of the real color after you do. I you can post some close ups , i'd like to see

them. So i can see more of the grain of the wood. Also, tell me about the guitar does it play or sound different ? There

seems to be some simular trates to both boards. Also, the R9 i got last year has a simular color to it.

I was at Sam Ash today, killing time (as the wife shops) and i was talking the the salesman i deal with almost all of

the time and i asked him , In 2003 when Gibson , did a run of BW boards on some LP's was it sold the the public as BW,

or just as a normal LP. I was told they were sold as normal LP's. Think what you like. Maybe it's all for nothing, but in

the end time will tell .

Yes, it looks close. I have been puzzled by it since I got my Explorer.

Jamman this is a regular production 2008 Explorer in natural, they don't make that color choice anymore, or at least for now, it looks like I got one from the last batch sice I had to wait 6 months until Gibson made a batch.

These pictures were taken when the guitar was brand new and the fretboard had not been cleaned or conditioned, since then I have applied oil a couple of times and unfortunately the fretboard is getting a little bit darker but it still looks very orange in hue.

I wish there was a good and easy way to tell what kind of Rosewood a fretbaord is.

rockstar232007, if you mean Stiffhand's explorer, I'd like to see the whole board. And also i'd like more info on the guitar itself. And pics. what we see is part of a board and the color looks

very uniform to me. Again i'm no expert , but wood varies in color . That is why i posted before and after pics of when i conditioned the board on my R0. big difference. there are many questions that

can be answered by pics. All we have are 2 pics, from what we are told is an explorer. In the long run, If Stiffhand is happy with his guitar ,that's what most important. If it plays and sounds great

it really doesn't matter what type of wood the fretboard is made from. The total sum of the parts are what is important. Gibson still makes fine guitars. that's why i have so many. lol !!!!!

As i stated before, i started the thread to try and get an answer , because what my wife had told me. Also, even in the store my guitar felt, sounded and looked different. I did contact Gibson and

their reply to my question of " was "BW" used in this issue was "no". nothing else. It took 2 emails to Gibson to get the 1 word responce. In my first email , they did not even bother to answer the

question. I found that odd. I think because of the guitar itself and it's part in Gibson's history, (It's a 1960 50th. Anniver. ver.3 reissue,that, imho would make it somewhat specail) they would have

given a more detailed answer. I'll leave it at that. It is getting more interesting as this progresses.

StiffHand, thanks for the added info. I think there are a lot of people who would like an easy way to determine what type of wood is used

in different types of guitars. As far as i know there isn't. does your guitar feel different compaired to others? the fret board , when playing ?

Is the sound different , when using a clean channel ? There are other traits that i have found out though reseach on the net. but i will not

bring them out here. when you "oiled" your board , what did you use ? It is normal for all types of rosewood to darken with age. this, also

with the "oil " you used could have an effect on the color. I will say that's it's a beautyful color and must look great with the natural finish.

My R9 -2009 is similar in hue,but not as deep. I have conditioned it 1 time and it changed nothing.My thought is that it is Madagasgar RW

but that more of a guess than anything. Also remember Gibson Dyes their Fret boards.

In my readings on the net , you would have noticed something during the cleaning and conditioning of the board. from what i have read

it has happened to everyone who works with BW. It is a tell-tail trait, that only happens with BW.

I am putting this link for you to look at a site that sells BW for guitar making. they have lots of pics, so you get a good idea of the different

colors that are out there. this is untreated wood . about the best site i've come across. let me know what you think. And any info you have would be a big help

Thanks, jamman http://www.hanoverbrazil.com/rosewood-guitars.shtml

I found this pic which shows some of the hue of the fretboard. you can see the reflection of it on the headstock. I did not take any pics to show the color of the

neck, but if you zoom in you can get an idea .

IMG_1326.jpg

Archived