Gibson Brands Forums

*Les Paul* how is your playing guys? *Les Paul*

Thundergod

How would you rate your playing guys? from 1 to 15.

1.- Can you play chords? - 1

2.- Can youplay chord progressions? +1

3.- Can you play them fast? +1

4.- Can you play arpegios? +1

5.- Can you play scales? +1 been a while since the urge hit to run scales

6.- Do you do leads? +1 not much anymore hands getting beet up and 3 carpal tunnel surgeries so tad slower

7.- Can you play country leads, metal leads, blues leads and jazz? +2 yep country leads, blues leads blues slide and jazz are the norm also do most leads and slide in southernrock style band. Metal Leads not on purpose usually but get drunk and tested and i'm there

8.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as rythm guitarist? +2 - hope so if not ive been lying to people for years

9.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as a lead guitarist? no points here the hands are beat I can play country rock and blues or slide or even play a lapsteel or Chapman stick but slowing doe=wn to call myself a lead anything anymore.

10.- Have you played, or currently play in a band (non cover) and people actually like your playing? +3

been playing in bands 3-4 mostly rock and southern rock over the last 30 years done studio work and fill for several CD's and even done drumming and mandolin on a third cd - never really made it past the bar seen and special event =s like state fairs and music festivals

I guess that gives me a 12 or 13 something like that.

The spirits willing still but the body is beat so I quit playing a true gig schedule the closest I come to gig heavy now is two weeks in Hawaii twice a year they comp the hotel and all food and drinks for four hours playing every other day. now having compe

1. Can you play chords? Y

2. Can you play chord progressions? Y

3. Can you play them fast? I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but I'll mark Y anyway...

4. Can you play arpeggios? Y, although I could be better at them.

5. Can you play scales? Y

6. Do you do leads? Y

7. Can you play country, metal, blues and jazz leads? Y on metal. I've spent my whole musical life playing some sort of heavy rock.

8. Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as rhythm guitarist? Y, and I currently do. Unless by gigging/recording you mean professionnally.

9. Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as lead guitarist? Y, see above.

10. Have you played, or currently play in a band (non cover) and people actually like your playing? Y

Crist sake ' date='no one told me there would be a math question, I guess I am am a 7 but my wife says I am 13[/quote']

That's ironic. A school I teach guitar at here in the UK has that latin moto on their jackets. Carpe Diem ..'Save the day'

I like this post. The last question really bummed me out though. I REALLY need to get back into a band or at least a group of guys to play with. It has been too long.....

1.- Can you play chords? 1

2.- Can youplay chord progressions? 1

3.- Can you play them fast? 1

4.- Can you play arpegios? 1

5.- Can you play scales? 1

6.- Do you do leads? 1

7.- Can you play country leads, metal leads, blues leads and jazz? 2

8.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as rythm guitarist? 2

9.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as a lead guitarist? 0

10.- Have you played, or currently play in a band (non cover) and people actually like your playing? 3

TOTAL: 13

Number 8 is in quesiton though. I am awful when trying to figure out the key. Once you tell me the key I am good but trying to figure it out on my own, I stink. Maybe I should go with 11 as my score.

That's ironic. A school I teach guitar at here in the UK has that latin moto on their jackets. Carpe Diem ..'Save the day'

Seize the day, Save the day

Just enjoy everyday

I meant to say I play at a 7 level but she thinks I act like a 13 year old

I need a proof reader and a dictionary

I view music as an art form or an expression.

If I looked at it in any way which you disect it here,I probably wouldn't like it.

To me,it just has to sound good and get across what your teying to.

The more technical something like this gets,the more technical it will sound,and less appealing it will be in pretty much every way,at least to me.

This is tough because I did more gigging and originals 20+ years ago. I'm a better, more disciplined guitarist today and play in a band but don't really do a lot of writing anymore. So based on your scale TG... 13 or 14 in my twenties and now.... arh, more like a 10. Damn day job gets in the way!

I'm curious how many of you read music? IMHO not necessary for being a great guitarist but really helpful if you want to do studio/session work. I read music and practice reading notation several times a week.

BTW TG, how did you come up with your rating parameters?

Hey Axe... i was wondering when you`d show up... you didnt answer the question tho... maybe you dont want to make us feel bad... i guess you'll scroe one above the higher posible!

We saw Axe's video post. Pretty safe to say he scores a perfect 15 on your scale TG....

And I am glad you're back, also, Axe #-o

Seize the day' date=' Save the day

[/quote']

Yeah that's correct, my mistake Mark.. 'Seize the day'. Not save the day. I was in this school today and asked the latin teacher. That's the schools motto. Heres' as pic of part of the school.

p1654a.jpg

isnt that school like' date=' sinking into the ground? ...cool, i guess thats every kids dream, to see school go to hell.[/quote']

LOL.. No I think it's just the wide angle lens that has thrown the verticals out of line.

Archived