Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for replacement Les Paul Recording control plate

kerpalalexander23

They are reproductions. It would be nice to find an original one. I would keep looking, maybe google it once a week. If you are patient you will find one eventually. Most things seem to come around eventually. As for the price . . . you might get lucky, but people are charging ridiculous amounts for replacement original parts these days. If I ever come across one I'll let you know.

If the new repro from the $100 guy fits, has the engraved lettering, is made out of the proper materials, screw holes lineup, etc..... $100 is a deal!

An original would be just as old and brittle as yours, and subject to crack (just like yours). The plastics used for guitar parts are chemically very unstable, you are much better off with a new piece of plastic which will give you years service before it starts to atrophy, off-gas, and generally just crumble away.

Just keep your original cracked one a safe place, you can always put it back on to be able to make the "all original" claim.

If the new repro from the $100 guy fits' date=' has the engraved lettering, is made out of the proper materials, screw holes lineup, etc..... $100 is a deal!

An original would be just as old and brittle as yours, and subject to crack (just like yours). The plastics used for guitar parts are chemically very unstable, you are much better off with a new piece of plastic which will give you years service before it starts to atrophy, off-gas, and generally just crumble away.

Just keep your original cracked one a safe place, you can always put it back on to be able to make the "all original" claim.[/quote']

I agree. I played a '72 Recording for many years, mine was cracked in several places, but it lived in bars, with me....

Archived