Gibson Brands Forums

What is this killer 2003 SJ-200?

Stu2820

Does anyone know what model this '03 SJ-200 is?

It came to me second hand with the standard blue lined case, a plastic nut and the active Fishman Matrix Natural 1 under saddle pickup system. I don't know if that was factory fittied or not. Otherwise, it looks like a Historic reissue or whatever they've called them in the past.

I've played/owned a few Bozeman SJ's and this one's just killer :-s

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

That's the Natural version of my '03 SJ200!

Absolutely killer guitars-I concur.

Mine has no model designation such as HC etc, I just think it's a stock '200 from that period.

Mine had a plastic nut too...kinda odd I thought. No biggie though as the tone was just ridiculous. I've since worn the old nut out and had it changed, but the plastic never bothered me.

Congrats on joining the rarefied ranks of the '03 SJ200 owners' club! You made a wise and rewarding choice :-)

Mine didn't come with a pickup system, but I installed one virtually identical to yours-mine is the Natural II, which is voiced slightly differently I think...it was the only Matrix system they had in the shop so I had no choice! I've had seven years of hard-touring action out of it and it's never let me down-great pickup.

• 4 years later...

OWF - LOL ! I agree! A zombie thread, that seems to have little to do with the original point.

I am very easily confused when one of these "Back To The Future" threads is dug up. I guess because the context has changed - new models, different nut material, pickguards made differently. But - it's all good.

I just traded my 2010 Gretsch White Falcon G7593T, what I always thought was a 2013 Gretsch WF, for a 2003 Gibson SJ200. The guy answered my kijiji ad for a trade. I said I wanted either an SJ200, ES335, BillyBo reverse Thunderbird, hard-tail vintage Strat or something else. The guy sent me pictures of what is now MY gorgeous Gibson SJ200. It is natural colour and is so damn nice. I went and bought a new Martin J40. Nice guitar for damn sure, except it ain't as nice as my new Gibson SJ200. I've read these die-hard Marin fans. "GiIBSONS ARE JUNK-MARTINS RULE" bla-bla-bla. I'd never say that, but I personally like Gibson acoustics over any other kind of guitar. I just don't get this type of thinking. There are many great guitar makers, and Gibson is just my favourite. The guy plays in a gigging band in southern Ontario. The reason he wanted to sell the SJ200 is because he said the big *** SJ200 drowned out much of the other folks in the band. It's a very loud and booming guitar, and that's what I like about these jumboid acoustics.

Well, I assumed I was telling a story about how I traded a guy a 2010 Gretsch White Falcon for a KILLER 2003 Gibson SJ200. Sorry I went off on such a damn tangent. What was I not thinking? LOL Bottom line being, the Gibson SJ200 is a gorgeous looking, playing and sounding guitar. I just friggin' love her. You ever want to spend a few bucks and get the Cadillac of acoustic guitars, then think no more and buy yourself a Gibson SJ200.

I'm not sure if you were asking me this question, and I'll just pretend you were. Yes, my new 2003 Gibson SJ200 has a pick-up in it. When the guy came to trade me the 2003 SJ200 for my 2010 Gretsch WF G7593T, I was just recovering from a prescribed medication that I am allergic to so didn't even look to see if it had a pup in it. Days after I made the trade, I noticed it has a pick-up in it. It is truly a lovely jumbo acoustic. I so much wish I was a guitar as well...I'd make babies with this sweetheart. She ain't pretty, she just looks that way.

Archived