Gibson Brands Forums

Academic Research being conducted about Gibson SG

UTPA guy

So if this is for a dissertation project, unless there is planned deception involved, how about an abstract or statement of purpose? Something that might be on an informed consent form if you were using in-person participants. Just saying it might be helpful if you want good data, which I'm sure you do if plan on publishing.

Thanks for all the comments! To answer a number of comments at once, I will be happy to share a number of things in the unfortunately ridiculous long amount of time getting an academic article takes. The reason for using the SG as the subject of the research will become clear when you take the survey, even clearer when the data collection phase is complete. I am hoping to have the survey ready this summer -- probably end of june, or early July.

Until then, revealing too much could bias the results from anyone taking the survey and would defeat the purpose.

And oh yeah -- I'll look into the toaster thing, but no promises.

Finally, I did get a pic of my brother's SG. I'll try to get a better picture from him of just the guitar, I pulled what I have off of a picture of him playing it.

I'll just post this now, then figure out how to post an image. Yes, I realize how lame that sounds -- but I just copied and attempted to paste three different ways.

UTPA...

It's easy to use one of your own photos as an avatar. Your profile allows you to change the avatar. Just use that as a low rez version. Otherwise you need something like Photobucket or equivalent, as I understand it, and that's more hassle than I wanna do myself...

m

Without knowing the thesis or intentions I can tell you that I've been playing guitar (not well) for about 6 years, and playing fairly well for 2, for a total of 8 years (the last two I've been taking lessons). I have owned three guitars over that period, but it wasn't until after I saw an AC/DC concert live that I decided I needed to have an SG and a peice of rock history. I'm still paying it off but I don't regret my decision in any way. Hope that helps.

Hello again all,

Good news -- the survey is ready to go much sooner than I'd expected. This is partially because in addition to contributing to my dissertation (eventually) I am treating the research project as a stand-alone research effort. Hopefully this will get submitted to an academic journal. At best, this would mean publication in about two years.

About the survey: Please keep in mind this research is measuring particular aspects of your perceptions given a certain scenario. There are no right or wrong answers. Simply read the scenario and answer five or six questions. This may seem simple, but the value of the research is in how the data is analyzed as a whole.

Which leads me to point out the following: 1. All information collected remains completely anonymous and confidential. 2. Data is analyzed as one large data set, not by individual response. 3. The survey is housed on a secure website.

About the research: As stated on the first page of the survey, this research is marketING research, not market research and is in no way affiliated with Gibson Musical Instruments. The Gibson SG is the context of the research.

If you have any inquiries, it is preferable they be directed to me either by private message on the board, or by e-mail at pgbarretta@broncs.utpa.edu.

Also -- This survey is intended for anyone who plays an SG on a fairly regular basis. I encourage you all to copy the link and pass it along to anyone you know who also plays an SG.

I thank you all for welcoming me on the board. I will continue to check in, but feel free to contact me directly if you are interested in further details of the research.

Okay, so here is a link to the survey...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GibsonSG

Archived