Gibson Brands Forums

Let's start a Broken Guitar parts registry.....

onewilyfool

KSdaddy, what do you think?

You know, I've often thought......accidents happen, we should start a registry of broken guitars. Say someone has a body that is ruined, BUT a great neck!! Or someone has a perfect guitar with a broken headstock, and needs a new neck. With this registry, you could buy spare parts off the list. Someone has removed a pickguard, someone needs one, someone has one broken tuner, someone removed their old ones for a set of Waverlies and has a spare.........could be helpful to some.....just an idea. Jinder could use a new neck on his J-200, someone have a guitar that got the body run over by a car, but has a perfect neck??? This could be very valuable, anyway, just thinking out loud.....Wily

I think it's a great idea.

I could make a page on my site with just text.... or maybe pics even, or links to pics.... I think I can put external links on my site anyway.

There maybe should be a wanted section too.

We could give it trial run anyway, see how it goes. You could just email me your ad and I'd add it daily or so. All I'd ask is if something got sold or the need (want) was fulfilled, you let me know so I could kill the ads. It would be mega-simple, just paragraphs with whatever contact info you choose to supply. I'd probably either date the ads or at least put th newest stuff up top so you wouldn't have to wade through subcategories.

Would this be something open to anyone? I see no reason why not, I just would like input on the infrastructure.

I think it's a great idea.

I think you will end up getting masses of emails from all over the world from people who want parts though! It could turn into a lot of work.

On the other hand you could make it like a club where you need a password to enter the inventory list, or you could even charge a nominal annual subscription of $5 or $10 so people could join the list as members!!! Just an idea. At least you'd get a little bit of something for your time that way.

Yep. 10% of nothing. Don't spend it all in one place.

I've got lots of parts here but not much that couldn't be had anywhere on the cheap. Anything I thought would be desirable I've flipped on ebay.

All kidding aside.....I see those guitars that look like they've been run over by a car on Ebay all the time, body crushed or neck crushed......this has to be a great opportunity to chop shop them and sell the parts. I once talked to the Martin guy about how much it would cost to get a new neck on my old R-18 and he quoted me around $1000!!! Now some of that is labor, but still a finished Gibson neck for a J-200, Jinder, how much would you pay for that???

This could be a really good idea, although I don't know the volume of guitar parts out there. I'm not a tinkerer or repairer. I just take it to my local luthier.

In terms of the work for ksdaddy or whoever maintains it: if you try to maintain an inventory system, it could be a lot of work. Used auto parts shops (aka wrecking yards) have systems for this. Go into a local yard and they will query a database to get your part if they don't have it themselves. A simpler approach might be to make it just a posting system where the users handle everything between themselves. You could have a "parts for sale or trade" and a "parts wanted" section. To some extent this happens now on various forums where people informally post something they need or have. In fact, adding it to one of the existing forums might be the simplest approach since the infrastructure would already be in place.

I think that this is how it could work, for example Johnt needs bridge pins, Jinder may need a new J-200 neck, etc. Let's start a list of what people need, and then we can network if we see things locally on Craigslist or EBAY that may work....Might be worth a try....

Archived