Gibson Brands Forums

Pawn value of beloved Gibson(s)

Wondering, need to keep my truck, so

I have a one-off Custom Shop Historic Les Paul Special [single-cutaway], with a custom factory paint job [burgundy and gold metallic geometric shapes], based on about a '57-'58 Special hardware-wise [Klusons, aluminum wrap around tailpiece, black soap bar P-90s, no dog ears], I also have a Les Paul Standard Sunburst, '74, which for a slight paint blemish on the back of the neck (a small circle where it didn't get painted or the paint didn't stick), was marked a Second. Good news is, it sounds EXACTLY like a vintage Les Paul Standard, indistinguishable, classic.

Well, I've NEVER pawned anything before, and plan to get it (or them) out asap, but I'm wondering what a fair pawn value would be. I see some Les Pauls of that vintage selling for more than $1500, which seems low to me... considering it DOES sound exactly like a vintage Les Paul. Anyway, I have no idea how much the Special should be worth, sale value, but since it is a one off, I'm thinking around $5k or so... The serial number is CS xxxx ("CS" space, then 4 numbers, 0469, for example). I bought the Special from a reputable brand name guitar store about ten years ago...

Anyway, hate to do it, but I need some cash to save my nice truck, thx.

BTW: Don't feel too sorry for me, I still have my trusty "The SG" with natural walnut oil finish and ebony fretboard! That one is probably about a '79 from what research I've done... It plays very smoothly and sounds fantastic!

He is pawning it, not selling it to the pawn. You are trying to borrow with the guitar(s) as a collateral right?

Not sure if they will give you a little bit more with the most likely possibility that you will come back to pay the loan plus interest. If you are not sure you'll come back and pay in time in time I'd say sell them on craigslist for a better price.

He is pawning it' date=' not selling it to the pawn. You are trying to borrow with the guitar(s) as a collateral right?

Not sure if they will give you a little bit more with the most likely possibility that you will come back to pay the loan plus interest. If you are not sure you'll come back and pay in time in time I'd say sell them on craigslist for a better price.[/quote']

I have friends in the pawn business, they price everything on what they sell it for. 50% of the people that say they will come back and pick it up, pay 1-3 months interest then they default on the loan, 60% default within 7 months and 70% within a year, 30% actually pick-it-up out of pawn.

thx all, esp. stiffhand and yoda (somehow do those two things go together... OK, no Star Wars jokes). OK... let me compose myself so I can compose...

Thanks, so a $1500 guitar, they might give you $500 - $750 or so... That makes sense. Yes, I am wanting to obtain money temporarily to quickly pay off a debt that I need to pay. I need to keep my nice Ford Explorer and only owe about $850 left on it after about 10k paid on it [used] already, but they want the money NOW... so... I have to make some tough choices with no extra income...

I have friends in the pawn business' date=' they price everything on what they sell it for. 50% of the people that say they will come back and pick it up, pay 1-3 months interest then they default on the loan, 60% default within 7 months and 70% within a year, 30% actually pick-it-up out of pawn. [/quote']

Well I am not all that familiar with the pawn business but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night....

Jokes aside, I agree with the % of money they will give you I was just pointing out that if he is going to pawn and not likely to come back (which is what your stats indicate) he is better off selling on craigslist or ebay.

Archived