Gibson Brands Forums

New Planet Waves NS Capo.....

onewilyfool

I dunno...

I've used variations of just about everything up until this sorta piece. In the old days I had one that screwed tight from the bottom, etc., etc., etc...

In ways the best were the wooden classical capos that had a wood "tuning peg" on top you used to tighten the thing after you got the base down nicely on the strings. Those seemed to be best for not messing up tuning but I've never seen an equivalent for steel strings. The cheapie rubber band ones always seemed about as good as anything although I've kept trying to find something better. <grin>

m

I'm a big fan of the NS. I have several...in fact, I found one of my NS capos in the utensil pot in my kitchen this morning, nestling in amongst the knives, spoons and spatulii...

The only prob I have is that I can't clamp it onto my headstock during gigs due to the design.

I LOVE the Dunlop Victor capo, as I've said before-it's my go-to, and I have found it's the only capo which makes my guitars sound better when it's in use...great capo.

I'm a big fan of the NS. I have several...in fact' date=' I found one of my NS capos in the utensil pot in my kitchen this morning, nestling in amongst the knives, spoons and spatulii...

The only prob I have is that I can't clamp it onto my headstock during gigs due to the design.

I LOVE the Dunlop Victor capo, as I've said before-it's my go-to, and I have found it's the only capo which makes my guitars sound better when it's in use...great capo.[/quote']

I got a Victor on your suggestion, Jinder, and you're right - it may actually improve the tone slightly. It's definitely my favorite capo (despite the lack of clip-ability).

I've noticed lately, though some tuning issues with it. My Shubb seems to be better with tuning. I don't know if I'm just placing it in a bad spot or tightening it too much. I hope I can find a nice "groove" for it, because I much prefer it to the Shubb.

BK, I'm glad you're enjoying the Victor...I always place mine about 2-3mm behind the fret in question, making sure it's as parallel with it as possible.

I've never had any tuning probs with the two or three I've used over the years, but it could be that I've got lucky with placement etc.

I take it yours is the radiused one? I think they do a flatter one for 12s and Nylons, but I could be wrong.

My cat wont stop eating the rubber off of my Shubb cappos. It's really peeing me off and I didn't notice before a gig last week. Any capo that is cat proof is of interest to me!

[biggrin]

I have six cats (basically all rescued). The seventh passed away last month.

My favorite capo (Shubb) is in my pocket when I don't use it. When I use it, it's ....um ..... on my guitar.

Now and then I do leave the capo on the dining table. But my cats are not allowed on the dining table.

I'd be interested to hear your story. [cool]

X

what about the G7? sounds perfect to me. quick to move' date=' and always the perfect pressure. low profile too.[/quote']

Love my G7. The perfect capo for me for the reasons you noted, plus no buzz, good tone, and can move it around quite a bit and my guitars stay in tune.

I think I'll take the approach favored by ToneRite naysayers:

I've never tried the Planet Waves NS capo but I doubt it'll work.

It looks over-engineered.

I doubt there's anything it can do that the more reliable and time-tested Shubb or Paige can't do.

Why don't you just learn to play chords up the neck?

No reason to try something new.

I think that about sums it up....

I have one, but use my Shubbs; they are faster to put on and take off. It's hard to beat the clamp action of the Shubb. Just make a tiny adjustment with the screw and you are set in about two seconds.

I think I'll take the approach favored by ToneRite naysayers:

I've never tried the Planet Waves NS capo but I doubt it'll work.

It looks over-engineered.

I doubt there's anything it can do that the more reliable and time-tested Shubb or Paige can't do.

Why don't you just learn to play chords up the neck?

No reason to try something new.

I think that about sums it up....

LOL

Archived