Gibson Brands Forums

Off To The Shop

Buc McMaster

Tomorrow the SJ200 goes to the shop for a neck reset. While the guitar is very playable as it is, a neck reset is on the horizon soon and my luthier has an opening in his schedule now. A neck line sighting falls about an eighth inch below the top of the bridge and the saddle is quite low.........it's time. This guy is known as the best in town for Gibson and Martin neck resets, I've known him for many years and have complete confidence in his work. He says about two weeks time for the job as everything has to dry completely from the removal procedure before going back together with it. I will miss my only guitar for a short while but it will be worth the wait.

Hey Buc,

In your signature I note that you give the year for your SJ-200 as 2006. Just wondering.... is it common for an SJ-200 to need a neck reset after four years, or what do you think led to the need for your guitar to require one? I've never had a neck reset done to any of my guitars, so I'd be interested in what factors can lead to needing one (i.e. Like maybe using heavier strings, or being played outside a lot?....) Also what does a good Luthier charge for a neck reset? I take it the Gibson warranty must not pay for it, even after four years, eh? Just interested in what you and others know about resets. Obviously, I know very little.... Thanks.

Jack6849

David: not too many shops have loaners and even fewer have lefthanded loaners!

Jack: This particular 200 could have been better from the factory. The neck set was not stellar from the beginning. The guitar has not been subjected to any extremes at all.......stays indoors for the most part, maybe out on the back porch on a nice morning for awhile. There is no apparent distortion in the top nor the sides at the neck block to indicate movement. As I said, it's still very playable......I'm just ready to let it loose for a couple weeks to have it done. I would rather pay a local guy than to deal with Gibson on a warranty claim. I don't mind paying for good work. Jimbo says $300 bucks for a reset, new nut and saddle. Not bad.

Buc,

Thanks for the info. Hope the reset is all you want it to be. The price sure seems reasonable, especially with a new nut and saddle. Are you having those made out of anything special? Thanks again...

Jack6849

Buc,

I hope all turns out well. Having access to a truly competent luthier/repairperson that you know and trust to work on your guitar is priceless. Like you, if it made sense in the overall scheme of things, I would gladly work within the time constraints defined by such a person in order to have them do the work.

All the best,

Guth

$300 for a reset ,new nut and saddle from a luthier you trust is excellent.

I have a 6 year old Martin very close to needing one, so resets are not necessarily only for "older "

instruments.

Archived