Gibson Brands Forums

my first ever youtube video

Well.... I mentioned my poor speakers on the computer.

But that's also a question I raised in another thread. My concern about ALL of our music is how to get it mixed so it will "work" in a new world of multiple styles of "players."

m

The thread followed a similar "here's one our band is working on" web references and with about the same conclusions... that the mix has to work on a lotta different equipment nowadays.

I have to grin when I remember that I listened to a tube radio with a 12-inch speaker when I was a kid. It would adjust rather well to different sorts of music. Now we carry little machines in our pockets that are functionally little different from the crystal sets of the earliest days of radio. <grin> And how many guys here badmouth solid state?

Personally I think that getting a mix that "works" on a broad variety of platforms is best even if it is less than optimal for a higher-quality sort of sound reproduction device. On the other hand, you don't want it "perfect" for ear buds.

Yeah, I think mixing is an art, and one that's every bit as important as decades ago.

I like the ZZ top story. If it ain't true, it probably should be.

m

Archived