Gibson Brands Forums

my first ever youtube video

Blackie is 110 percent correct - your own pix, please.

Okay, too, you asked for criticism, good, bad or whatever...

We've written here before about the importance of getting a good mix. On my computer speakers the drum and bass were so overpowering I could just barely hear some really, really good stuff behind it.

Neat timing that seemed just right, everything fitting, strong vocal...

But after about two minutes the mix had my head losing it's "listen" from what I'm convinced would have been an exceptionally good band piece if mixed with drums and bass dialed down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to pop up the bass on a lotta stuff I listen to myself until the speakers start to rattle. This was beyond that level on this particular computer with these speakers.

So... I'd personally rate this as a very good band with a good piece that would get an "excellent" with a different mix. OTOH, getting the right mix is IMHO just as difficult as playing well - and just as important.

But ... <grin> what the heck, you should hear me cuss my own mixes and that's just one guy sometimes with, and sometimes without, a mike for vocals. Believe, me, I'm equally critical which is why I hate to record for others to listen to. It's the mix; I know I'm far more lucky than skilled when I make it through a piece with a half decent mix - and worrying about engineering my own mix while playing shoots my technique into the tank. @#$%#$%@#$%

Well... you asked for an honest opinion. Oh - and again, Blackie's right about the pix, too. <grin>

m

I friggin dig it!!!!

It's very tough to lay down tracks that have a live vibe to it, and you and the boys did a great job of coming across like a band I would love to see live.

Love to hear more[cool]

I go with the rest...your music stands on it own, your band rocks Jesse, so why not include your own pics?

And if you want to look it like a real 'tribute video', why not make a section of scenes of the original Zep video's/pictures, and copy that with the members of your band in the lead role? I would not copy 100%, but would give it a personal touch...:-k

Great job!! I enjoyed that!!! The mix didn't sound bad at all on my computer's speakers but I heard it on a MacBook Air so everything kinda gets squashed together. I'll listen again on my studio speakers... Loved the vibe! Does have a live feel to it, was that recorded in a studio?

Congrats!!

PS: when did you get a 1959 Les Paul?

I wasn't expecting it to be even good, but its DAMN good.

*shock

I thought there would be live footage or your band's pics at least.

Don't be a pu$$-e, next time let us see you and yours.

You guys sound great - though I agree that the bass and drums are too hot. And what's up with no pics of your band?

But yeah... if I could play like you, I'd consider myself a real guitarist.

Loved the vibe! Does have a live feel to it' date=' was that recorded in a studio?

PS: when did you get a 1959 Les Paul?[/quote']

just a live band practice with some reverb thrown on top, dont worry about it #-o

Good job Jesse....Sounds fantastic.

Perhaps you can hire Demoon as a roadie...to keep him off the streets and such.

he would bring too many fat girls to the show.........(oh that was bad :-)

Your bass player is awesome!! [biggrin]

carl' date=' our bass player is killer, he usually plays 7 and 8 strings, so when he plays a 4 string, he has the "bored john paul jones thing" down pat, hahaha

[img']http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab260/jessenoah/094.jpg[/img]

Okay.... maybe I'm oversensitive on "the mix."

But for what it's worth, my worst memory of that first "good" rock band that I was in is a one-mike empty-hall tape recording in the spring of '66. Subzero travel, no big deal; some nasty stuff, no big deal; two-day "no sleep, no big deal.

That tape didn't sound at all like "us." I still don't think it did. It's truly my one "bad" memory.

But there it was, natural reverb overmodulating... Crazy mids, the bass muffled and trebles hidden behind drum mids.

What I think was a half decent band - and dates we got reinforced that thought - did not sound that way on recording because largely how it was recorded, not the playing or the amps or the PA... But maybe I'm oversensitive.

Yeah, I get awfully sensitive to that kinda thing mostly 'cuz I don't want other young musicians to have less than what they really sound like. The bad memories should be jealous boyfriends and flat trailer tires en route to a gig. <grin>

So... consider that 'stedda a grouchy old guy, I'm kinda protective of "kids" who now are where once I was... <grin>

m

Archived