Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 TV?

drellis

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I am currently looking for a used Gibson J-45 or Southern Jumbo. I saw that a store about 2 hours from where I live has a "08 J-45 True Vintage priced at $2500 so I'm planning to make a road trip this weekend to check it out. Does that sound like a fair price for that guitar? If anyone owns a J-45 TV, please share your opinions...thanks.

Welcome to the Forum' date=' Drellis! You can't go wrong with ANY True Vintage. The J-45 is a sweetheart. I have a Southern Jumbo that gives me chills everytime I play it. Where are you at N.C.?[/quote']

I live in New Bern which is near the coast. I think that the SJ is one of the most beautiful guitars ever made.

The neck profile was the standard neck Gibson uses on the J-45 or my H-Bird and Blues King.

In other words the perfect neck profile IMO!!

I played the J45 TV and MC side by side; same neck.

They call it a V but it is not; not sure why the do it. This came up recently and the consensus was it is not V shaped.

If you like the neck shape on other recent Gibson's, you will love it.

Well on the Gibson website it says adirondack

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage/Features.aspx

But I've heard the same as you, some may have sitka. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here somewhere where I asked .... there is

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=410611

Assuming that you like the way the guitar plays:

If the guitar sounds totally amazing, then that is totally amazing price.

If the guitar sounds great, then it is a great price.

If the guitar sounds okay, well why bother, wait until you find one that falls into one of the categories above (preferably the first one). Buy the guitar that blows you away and you'll be happy, regardless of the model/price (within reason of course).

Go for the tone,

Guth

I just found out that the J-45 TV that I'm going to play this weekend has Waverly tuners (which I like btw). My question is are the Waverlys direct replacement tuners for the Gotoh tuners that originally came on the guitar? Should I have any reservations about this guitar not having factory-installed tuners?

I think the hole spacing is different. If the tuners were replaced then you may see evidence of this on the back of the headstock. The old tuners may have left an imprint and the screw holes may have been plugged. My guess is the two are close enough that you would be hard pressed to see the evidence.

I don't know for sure; you look at the Stewart MacDonald website you can find the specs of the two machines.

The Waverly's would be an upgrade IMO...

I think the hole spacing is different.

Is this something I should even be concerned about when deciding whether to buy the guitar? Basically I just can't afford to make a $2500 mistake.

Thanks-

I think the hole spacing is different.

Is this something I should even be concerned about when deciding whether to buy the guitar? Basically I just can't afford to make a $2500 mistake.

Thanks-

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the up grading of tuners on a current Gibson model.

It's not like your changing the value of a true vintage guitar.[biggrin]

I immediately switched out the tuners on my '07 J45 TV to the Kluson SD 90's.

They look better, have an aged tint that matches the binding better and I like how they

are machined/turn. It's what Gibson should have put on anyway IMHO.

Good Luck & Have fun playing it.

I just got back in town from playing the guitar. It played and sounded fine but I don't think that the tuner replacement was properly done. I don't know exactly what kind of tuners came on the guitar but you could still see the impressions on the back of the headstock from the old tuners which appear to have rectangular in shape and some of the screw holes were visible as well. The guitar was also missing the end pin. Needless to say I did not buy the guitar.

I guess I'll just have to dig a little deeper into the bank account and buy a new one. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback and suggestions.

I just got back in town from playing the guitar. It played and sounded fine but I don't think that the tuner replacement was properly done. I don't know exactly what kind of tuners came on the guitar but you could still see the impressions on the back of the headstock from the old tuners which appear to have rectangular in shape and some of the screw holes were visible as well. The guitar was also missing the end pin. Needless to say I did not buy the guitar.

I guess I'll just have to dig a little deeper into the bank account and buy a new one. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback and suggestions.

you have a PM...

Too bad. The problem from the old tuners is fixable' date=' but you would need someone with some expertise to do it.

Good luck in the search for your TV.

[/quote']

Thanks. Except for the tuner problem, it really was a nice playing/sounding guitar. I noticed it was a "VOS" model which I think has something to do with finish being made to look worn so that the guitar has more of a vintage look (?). I believe if I ever got use to playing a guitar with a short-scale neck it would be very hard to go back to a 25.5" scale.

Thanks. Except for the tuner problem' date=' it really was a nice playing/sounding guitar. I noticed it was a "VOS" model which I think has something to do with finish being made to look worn so that the guitar has more of a vintage look (?). I believe if I ever got use to playing a guitar with a short-scale neck it would be very hard to go back to a 25.5" scale. [/quote']

I too am in hyper-lust mode for a J-45 TV. They're just awesome. I play a Martin D-16 sitka/rose at present, which I keep tuned down a whole step so the longer scale is great. With the down tuning and medium strings, and since it was set up for standard tuning and light strings, I get some buzz and beef on the low E which actually suits/adds to a few of the bluesy-funky tunes I play.

I want the TV to keep in standard tuning. I love the sweet balanced mahogany. I have played quite a few, both sitka and red, and after a while that choice has become far less important to me, although there is a difference, with the sitkas tending to be just a hint brighter consistently.

I'm a singer first and when I play with my big BOOMY Martin I sing full voice, it's more work to sing over the guitar. When I play a hog (yes, I sing in guitar stores, I'm shameless), I find the slightly less volume from that wood/size combo allows me to sing with less force and more dynamics.

Anyway, as I confessed, I'm lusting as I just played the TV I'm saving for, yesterday. There's lots to consider and good for you for letting that one get by. BTW, the new guitar (tho it has a little shop wear, it's a 2008) is on sale for $2250. This store has all their guitars on major sale for the last few weeks. I am not a good enough human being to let you know of which shop I speak, since I'm still hoping and praying to get the money together to get my hog before it's gone, but know that they're are some fine ones out there selling new for that price.

Good luck.

Archived