Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Classic and the classic Santana tone...

chillaxboi

Remember that a Boogie was a big part of that sound :-
in 1970 Boogie was barely in operation yet. Randall Smith was still modifying amps and the real "boogie" sound didn't come about until the Mark I was released until 2 years later, in 1972. Santana sounded great before then as well. TONE IS IN THE FINGERS.

That small amp angled up looks familiar...

Santana was using the 'Boogie' in 1969.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie

I think it would be more accurate to say that 'soul' is in the fingers' date=' whereas 'tone' is a prime function of guitar and amplifier. (No caps needed).[/quote']

I agree... No one can replicate Santana's soul, but it is possible to approximate his sound.

Funny thing is' date=' there's an interview with him someplace on the 'net where he was talking about the new PRS Santana model and pickups and how hard they worked to "get it to sound like a Strat" ! [/quote']

mmm that's wierd... the latest 25th anniversary Santana model has 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. No coil taps either...

Not only that, they have reduced the scale length to 24.5"... even further away from the Strat's 25.5" !!!

Ive got an sg classic' date=' just bought it, its got great tone although i find the neck a little thick, the p 90s are very versatile they have a little bit of a single coil chime to them [/quote']

I would hope so ... P90's are single coil pups [biggrin]

SG Classic is a lot of bang for your buck. Can't go wrong there.

bluesguitar65, that's a sweet SG. I think the next guitar I get is going to have some P90's. Also, is that a 5150 head I spy in the background of your photo? I've got one also, I love that amp.

Archived