Gibson Brands Forums

im makin it on my own

el_negro

ok so heres the scoop... i plan on making my own guitar from scratch, everything except the tuning knobs and the pots. i just dont know what would be the best wood to use, and since this is my first i dont wanna go buy really expensive wood and then **** it all up. plus i dont know what tones the different woods produce either.

ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS?

Check out mylespaul.com

they have tons of info under luthiers-corner.

Also, if you doubt you ability at first to do it from scratch I know two websites that sell premade LP bodies and necks, just to do final drilling installing the neck stuff like that....both low end and high end.....the high end is 1700 for a kit.

PM me if you want the websites.....I don't think it should be posted here...

Don't mean to discourage you because I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it is my understanding that wood for necks must be aged for a year or two, or forced aged, or warping or twisting can be a problem.

Don't mean to discourage you because I have no idea what I'm talking about' date=' but it is my understanding that wood for necks must be aged for a year or two, or forced aged, or warping or twisting can be a problem.[/quote']

Some people have said that they do leave it....

Other times on the build threads on MLP they didn't.

MLP will have all the information you need and all the pictures that will make you want to grab the wood and a saw and head outside.

What type of electric guitar? Solid-body ala SG? Drop-top ala Les Paul? Semi-hollow body ala ES-335?

There are so many to choose from, and Gibson has used many different types of wood depending on the model & type.

Check out my own "Firebird" inspired guitar - http://www.fox-guitars.com/New_Guitars.html

Solid mahogany "through body" neck with mahogany wings. S. American Rosewood fingerboard. Ebony peghead veneer over the mahogany. I like mahogany - it's not that expensive, easy to work, and is the same wood Gibson used/uses on a lor of their electrics, including almost all the solid bodies like the Firebird, SG, etc.

Good luck with your project.

Archived