Gibson Brands Forums

Only a Gibson is good enough but are they consistent enough?

drellis

Today i bought my 10th Gibson via the internets. A 2007 J185 TV. I'll receive it on Friday. I expect it will settle in nicely right along side of the rest. The only guitar I ever sent back from an internet purchase was a brand new Martin HD 28VS. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Congrats on your new guitar! I hope it is everything you want it to be.

Strangely enough and almost against my own better judgment, I still want to buy the J-45.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Gibson made the pickguards' date=' you'd have a point.[/quote']

According to my friends at Fuller's, Gibson does make all it's own pickguards. They will, in fact, make you a custom shaped guard if you like. They don't use exotic colors and materials, but they will shape their standard pickguard materials into whatever your heart desires if you provide them with an actual-size pattern to work from.

Buc- that's not my understanding. Yes, they can custom shape a pickguard, but they don't manufacture them- or the adhesive that is on the back side. (the whole point of this post.) They do put them on their guitars- obviously.

It's been a couple years since I went through the Montana plant, but I would doubt the situation has changed.

Buc- that's not my understanding. Yes' date=' they can custom shape a pickguard, but they don't manufacture them- or the adhesive that is on the back side. (the whole point of this post.) They do put them on their guitars- obviously.

It's been a couple years since I went through the Montana plant, but I would doubt the situation has changed.

[/quote']

Honestly I don't care what shape the pickguard is as long as it stays on the guitar. I doubt you will find any posts on the Taylor or Collings forums discussing pickguards coming off guitars.

I'm just not convinced that "a Gibson is good enough" for what they cost.

I'm just not convinced that "a Gibson is good enough" for what they cost.

Buy a used one and save yourself a thousand $$. That makes them much more competitive...

That's what I do....I've got a Rosewood J-185 on the way for evaluation...wish me luck!

drellis, are the two 2007 J-45 TVs new or used? In either case, they have had about 3 years of exposure to unknown conditions. Under the circumstances, I would be hesitant to conclude that the pick guard problem was a result of manufacturing inconsistency. I would give some credit to the dealer for telling you, though. He could easily have reglued it and you would not have known.

drellis' date=' are the two 2007 J-45 TVs new or used? In either case, they have had about 3 years of exposure to unknown conditions. Under the circumstances, I would be hesitant to conclude that the pick guard problem was a result of manufacturing inconsistency. I would give some credit to the dealer for telling you, though. He could easily have reglued it and you would not have known.[/quote']

Both are new and have never left the store. The dealer sent me photos of both guitars and they appear to have different tops although its my understanding that the 2007 models were all made with sitka tops.

Hey guys,

I still don't know if Gibsons are consistent or not but I found a nice J-45 TV at a music store in Raleigh yesterday so I bought it. It plays great and it has "that sound" I was looking for.

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice (thanks Dotneck).

On the J-45 I can sometimes hear a slight "rattling noise" if I shake the guitar. I looked inside the sound-hole and I could see a small plastic strip maybe 2-3" long that was just inside the sound-hole on the underside of the top. It is very close to where the volume knob would be on a standard J-45 (mine is a TV). Anyway the strip is loose and is most likely what is causing the noise I'm hearing. Does anybody know what this plastic strip is?

On the J-45 I can sometimes hear a slight "rattling noise" if I shake the guitar. I looked inside the sound-hole and I could see a small plastic strip maybe 2-3" long that was just inside the sound-hole on the underside of the top. It is very close to where the volume knob would be on a standard J-45 (mine is a TV). Anyway the strip is loose and is most likely what is causing the noise I'm hearing. Does anybody know what this plastic strip is?

I wonder if the previous owner had installed a pickup...could it be a part left over from an installation?

Anything inside the soundhole is going to be wood........excepting electronics. Sounds like a loose brace.

That's initially what I thought too but its NOT wood, its plastic. It looks part of it is glued to a brace and the rest of it is just hanging loose.

I wonder if the previous owner had installed a pickup...could it be a part left over from an installation?

I don't think so. The previous owner said that he had not modified the guitar in any way and the endpin appears to be original.

Very strange.

There is no such plastic strip in my 2008 J-45 TV.

Guth

That's good! I cannot see any functional purpose that this plastic strip serves. I'm going to have somebody check it out in the next few days and I'll let you know what they say.

No way that plastic came from the factory...

I agree. I just removed it from the guitar. The piece of plastic looks like it has a magnetic strip in it so it was probably put in the guitar by the store that originally sold it to prevent it from being stolen (?).

I don't know about you guys, but I occasionally go to the local Guitar Center and try out their nicer stuff and I find just as many D28's that are just dead thuds and 914's that have action so low that you can't even play it. Just the same way with Gibson and any other maker. I've played Collings mandolins that I haven't liked half as much as the one that I own and even Santa Cruz guitars that sound no better than any regular Martin box.

With that said, as all of those companies are good makers, logic says that it isn't a matter inconsistency, but rather a matter personal taste, and like many others said, no two guitars are alike, even within the same model.

Sometimes though when you can't find a guitar nearby, it might be worth it to eat the shipping costs if you can return in if you don't like it...

Archived