Gibson Brands Forums

Troubleshooting BFG tuning issues

Josh James

Well, I have had my BFG for a couple of months now. I got it set up and a graphite nut installed by the guy who does work on my strats and such and he said he had a hard time keeping it in perfect tune and couldn't figure out why. Since I got it back, I can't keep it in tune to save my life! I do a lot of blues and full bends, but this is ridiculous.... I play my strat the same aggressive way and it stays in tune like a champ, so any other ideas on what my problem might be?

Thanks everyone here for your help. I feel like you all are my ax - slingin' big brothers!

Not a lot of friendly musicians to chat about with gear here in Oklahoma unfortunately, so it really is a honor to be a part of this forum.

J

Have you checked/tightened the tuners themselves?

Which tuners are on it? You may find too much "wobble" in the posts.

If you do a LOT of hard bends, you might need to upgrade to 18-1 ratio tuners, or even lockers.

I too play the Blues, and have had to upgrade several of my guitars to 18-1 Grover Super Rotomatics.

Oddly, the "Gibson Deluxe" tuners on my '88 LP seem to be MUCH tighter (post to shaft) than the ones on my '08 Flying-V.........Maybe they really DON'T make 'em like they used to?

Ive had no problems with the tuning stability or tight feel with the "Gibson Deluxe" tuners on my SG. They're actually Grovers that have the Gibson brand on them.

The problem is obviously the new nut/ setup if the problem just started after you got that done. I would take it back and have him fix it for free. It sounds like he messed up your guitar. Not cool... I recommend a bone nut. Those graphite and Teflon coated nuts are overkill imo.

It has grovers on it that came stock. Yeah, it had tuning issues when I first got it, before he even put on a new nut and setup. Maybe it just needs the posts tightened up? How tight should they be? I never stretch the strings, I usually just play the hell out of it before gigs and rehearsal to break it in. I play mostly Albert King and Clapton, so I bend the hell out of the strings!

J

Archived