Gibson Brands Forums

Always a humidifier or just when needed?

gijs

Recently I bought a Hummingbird, wow what a great guitar. To keep it in best shape I am focused on finding out the best way to go on temperature and humidity. I store my guitar in it's case and have a hygrometer in the case to keep an eye on humidty. The hygrometer now displays a constant 52% RH in the case, a bit more than the 40-50% Gibson advises.

I have two questions on this:

1) Is 52% ok in your view or should I always try to keep it in the 40-50% range?

2) I bought a case-humidifier, but I have not used it since the case already reads 52%. Should you only use a humidifier if the humidity gets too low (<40%) or is it better to always keep a humidifier in your case?

Many thanks.

Recently I bought a Hummingbird' date=' wow what a great guitar. To keep it in best shape I am focused on finding out the best way to go on temperature and humidity. I store my guitar in it's case and have a hygrometer in the case to keep an eye on humidty. The hygrometer now displays a constant 52% RH in the case, a bit more than the 40-50% Gibson advises.

I have two questions on this:

1) Is 52% ok in your view or should I always try to keep it in the 40-50% range?

2) I bought a case-humidifier, but I have not used it since the case already reads 52%. Should you only use a humidifier if the humidity gets too low (<40%) or is it better to always keep a humidifier in your case?

Many thanks.[/quote']

What kind of Hygrometer ? Is it digital or analog ? Is it actually working ? [cool]

ehm, it's analog and yes it's working. Once I open the case it gradually increases to higher values, and when the climate was a little different a couple of weeks ago it read 48% in the case.

But what are your thoughts on my questions?

I use the humidifier in winter when the humidity stays low for months on end. Daily fluctuations don't matter much as they usually average out. I wouldn't imagine that The Netherlands ever gets very dry and I might be more concerned with the guitar getting too much moisture and needing desiccants in the case to keep it dry.

Signs of dry guitars- fret ends sticking out, action goes low, buzzes etc. Signs of a wet guitar - action goes high and they usually don't sound that good- muddy.

A lot more guitars get too dry than get too wet, but it happens.

If was equipped for it I would weigh my guitar when I got it, or when everything seemed great about it- action, tone etc. and I would try to keep the weight/moisture content the same. I have a kitchen scale that weighs precisely to 11lb. If I can find a way to steady the guitar on it I may take my own advice:)

I'll try to give the thoughts you're looking for.

Sounds okay. 40%-52% range is fine.

2) I bought a case-humidifier' date=' but I have not used it since the case already reads 52%. Should you only use a humidifier if the humidity gets too low (<40%) or is it better to always keep a humidifier in your case?[/quote']

Yes. You're doing fine. When using a case humidifer' date=' check the humidy in your case everyday. Even in a dry climate/season it's possible to over humdify if you leave the case closed for a number of days. Over humidifying causes the wood to swell and the belly to dome, and can, in some cases, cause damage. So don't always leave the humidifier in the case. Use as you have been.

... Signs of dry guitars- fret ends sticking out, action goes low, buzzes etc. Signs of a wet guitar - action goes high and they usually don't sound that good- muddy.

A lot more guitars get too dry than get too wet, but it happens. ...

+1

Good things to look for.

Since you seem to be the fastidious type, just continue doing what you are doing, checking on a daily basis. When the humidity gauge reads 40, put in the humidifier. When it rises to above 50, take it out.

QED [biggrin]

I use a warm mist humidifier for the room and leave all my guitars out on wall hangers or stands. The humidifer has a built in hygrometer which I can set to maintain a constant 43% RH. I have a couple other digital hygrometers in other places in the room to measure all extents. I keep it running all the time, but usually during July-September, it will rarely kick in.

Here is is June 1st and we had snow on the ground yesterday and the humidifier was going all last week as we had very cold temps. Sun is out today. Perhaps we'll get some sun before the snow arrives next month.

Archived