Gibson Brands Forums

Serious amp question please help

ps25814

so i want to buy a mesa boogie, head but the thing is that i can get like a marshall cab or different kind of cabs for cheaper. can i use a mesa head with a marshall cab? and will it change the sound alot cause the tone comes from the head right?

Speakers do affect the sound a lot.... But, would it really matter to you? Only you have the answer to that. Test them both out and see. What speakers are in those Mesa cabinets?

As long as you like what you hear and at the same time aren't breaking the amplifier by "mismatching" impedances ie. don't connect a 16 ohm amp into an 8 ohm cab.

What blue said. Speaker cable, not an instrument cable.

You can hook up whatever cab you want, brand is of no consequence as long as you match the impedance and the cab is at least the same wattage as the head (prefferably twice as much).

or should i get the 100 watt combo?

An amp is just as important as the guitar as far your sound goes.

Just like a guitar, if you can, try them for yourself first.

Tube amps will "feel" differently too depending on the level you're playing at.

If you think really need 100 watts, go check it out first, see if you can get the tone you're looking for at the level you'll be playing at.

Or maybe try this 50 watter at the level you play at and save some money.

It's all about how it feels and sound to you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MA-Series-MA50C-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-583690-i1476783.gc

so while i was out i went to my local music store (straight music) and checked out the marshalls. i found one i fell in love with that is 700 for the head and 200 for the cab i will post a link

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MA-Series-MA50H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-583688-i1476781.gc

do yall have any opinions?

that is the exactly amp that im gonna buy. very good amp.

i played the 50 head with my sg it was great i dont knwo if they have the combo at the same store do u think that the sound will change alot?

i personaly gonna buy the combo because to play in my home with head and cabinet its impossible and you always can hook the combo to a speaker good luck.

i played the 50 head with my sg it was great i dont knwo if they have the combo at the same store do u think that the sound will change alot?

Assuming you played the head through a 4X12 cab' date=' then yes, your SG will probably sound different through the 1X12 combo amp.

Especially if you really cranked the head through the cab.

It's probably safe to say that the same volume and tone settings on the combo as you had on the head will sound different through the one 12" speaker than it did through four.

Checking out the combo to see how it compares to the head is really the only way to see if you'll be as satisfied with the combo as you were with the head.

As [b']dvir[/b] said, with the combo, you can play at reasonable levels, and always pair it with a cab in the future if you'd like.

If they do have the combo, ask them to hook it up to a cab to see if that option will work for you later, if you don't like the sound of the combo through the cab, then go for the head.

and i bet the combo wont make as much noise as the head either. it is for playing with my band though. my other guitarist owns a mesa roadster combo which is 100W so should i go for the 50c or 100c i know if i get a head the head will be 50Watts

and i bet the combo wont make as much noise as the head either. it is for playing with my band though. my other guitarist owns a mesa roadster combo which is 100W so should i go for the 50c or 100c i know if i get a head the head will be 50Watts

and i bet the combo wont make as much noise as the head either.

I've always thought combos are more prone to hum, microphonics, and noise due to the architecture of a combo versus a separate amp and a speaker cabinet. But, I'm no expert so don't quote me on that.

and i bet the combo wont make as much noise as the head either.

youre wrong they make same noise for sure! they both 50w it doesnt matter which cab you get you can always get only to 50w noise only!

When I first got my Mark IV head, I ran it into my 4x12 Marshall cab by switching the cab to MONO and using the 4 Ohm mono Jack instead of the 16 Ohm jack. It sounded great and is a proper impedance match.

This does NOT mean you can use the 2nd 4 ohm out on the head to a 2nd Marshall at 4 Ohm (like I did by mistake) as this would cause a mismatch and it made the impedance 2 ohm and not 4. I was lucky not to blow my transformer.

[cool] I was under the learning curve switching from Marshalls to Mesa.

so while i was out i went to my local music store (straight music) and checked out the marshalls. i found one i fell in love with that is 700 for the head and 200 for the cab i will post a link

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MA-Series-MA50H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-583688-i1476781.gc

do yall have any opinions?

It's probably a nice amp, but MY GOD that is a lot of knobs. You'll need a degree in engineering to operate it or you'll get OCD trying to perfect your sound. At least it's not a Mesa Boogie. Those require a Ph.D: 50 knobs on the front, 50 on the back, and a few trim pots inside.

100W all tube is way more than you'll ever need.

Combo vs stack / half / 1/4 depends on what you like, a head lets you have different configurations for cabs, you can have a small 1x12 to take everywhere, you can have a 4x12 for those times you play in bigger venues. With a combo you are stuck with one config.

Most brands offer the same amp in both configurations BUT some of them offer different options for each. As example, some only have reverb for the combo version, some have a mix knob for the fx loop only for the head/cab version, and so on.

100W all tube is way more than you'll ever need.

Combo vs stack / half / 1/4 depends on what you like' date=' a head lets you have different configurations for cabs, you can have a small 1x12 to take everywhere, you can have a 4x12 for those times you play in bigger venues. With a combo you are stuck with one config.

Most brands offer the same amp in both configurations BUT some of them offer different options for each. As example, some only have reverb for the combo version, some have a mix knob for the fx loop only for the head/cab version, and so on.[/quote']

ok so marshall sells a 1x12 cab that i can buy and use with a ma 50h?

I have posted this chart before...Ill post it again.

Relative to the standard amp power of 50 watts.

% louder = 2^log10(P2/P1) * 100%

40 watts is 94% as loud as 50 watts.

30 watts is 86% as loud as 50 watts.

25 watts is 81% as loud as 50 watts.

22 watts is 78% as loud as 50 watts.

20 watts is 76% as loud as 50 watts.

18 watts is 74% as loud as 50 watts.

15 watts is 70% as loud as 50 watts.

12 watts is 65% as loud as 50 watts.

10 watts is 62% as loud as 50 watts.

9 watts is 60% as loud as 50 watts.

8 watts is 56% as loud as 50 watts.

7 watts is 55% as loud as 50 watts.

6 watts is 53% as loud as 50 watts.

5 watts is 50% as loud as 50 watts.

4 watts is 47% as loud as 50 watts.

3 watts is 43% as loud as 50 watts.

2 watts is 38% as loud as 50 watts.

1 watt is 31% as loud as 50 watts.

3/4 watt is 28% as loud as 50 watts.

1/2 watt is 25% as loud as 50 watts.

1/4 watt is 20% as loud as 50 watts.

1/10 watt is 15% as loud as 50 watts.

50mW is 13% as loud as 50 watts

20mW is 10% as loud as 50 watts.

10mW is 8% as loud as 50 watts.

5mW is 6% as loud as 50 watts.

1mW is 4% as loud as 50 watts.

0.5mW is 3% as loud as 50 watts.

0.1mW is 2% as loud as 50 watts.

50uW is 1.6% as loud as 50 watts.

10uW is 1% as loud as 50 watts.

...and whatever you do' date=' use SPEAKER CABLE to hook the head to the cabinet. NOT 1/4" guitar cable.

Youd be surprised at the guys who dont know any better....Thats just an FYI, I dont mean you per say.[/quote']

I make my cable from the same wire I use to build the amp - it's rated at 650volts I believe.

Archived