Gibson Brands Forums

New muscle cars

Tim Plains

I'm sure most guys like the new(er) Ford, Chevy & Dodge muscle cars since they have that retro look to them. They look great but always thought these three car makes would make a killing if they scraped them and did the following...

Everyone loves the old muscle cars, right? Why not bring them back and make them look exactly like they did in the '60s? Looks wise, I'm talking about an exact replica but that's where the similarities end. Of course, things like current emissions and crash standards would have to be met; so, the new cars would have to have modern engines (fuel injection, etc) and crumple zones...things like that. They could have the old school bumpers on the outside but have better crash absorbing systems on the inside. I'm sure it could be done. My dad use to have a '72 Mach 1, 351C, and there was so much room under the hood you could live in there! Visually, a few things would have to be different - such as the steering wheel/dashboard in front of the passenger (airbags), seatbelts, etc. - but I'm sure they could make the rest of the inside look the same as an old muscle car.

I'll bet there would be a huge market for such cars and they'd sell like hot cakes. What do you guys/gals think?

No' date=' man!! You got it all wrong! [biggrin']

I want one that looks like the old ones in every way possible. When you look at the car, it looks like, say, a '65 Mustang. When you pop the hood, it's obviously not a '65 Mustang.

You mean like those re-issue guitars?

There's a name for that - making look like an old car on the outside, but with good stuff on the inside.

I just don't know what it is.

There are car clubs around here that are big into the '50s Buicks - but they have air conditioning and such. They do look very nice.

Might be the only way I'd consider having one. Those old cars had some serious drawbacks once you got beyond the "gee-whiz" factor.

And the prices of these new cars will not be through the roof?

Well, it's not like they have to design them again. No doubt they'd be expensive but have you ever seen Barrett-Jackson and what some people have paid for old cars? They'd probably cost right around what the current ones cost. Let's face it, a brand new Camaro SS isn't exactly cheap.

Now would they be chambered or weight relieved? just sayin lol

I like the idea, just the cost would be the big factor in it all. The big three like using plastic because it's easy to produce and keeps the cost down. For chrome and metal , well could get a bit on the expensive side.

Btw, have you seen the old cars when they've got into an accident? the old cars could take a hit, not a days they just crunch up...

Well when you delve deeper into it, some companies don't keep the blueprints of old cars and they may have trouble making it safe in old stuff. You just can't start rollin off mustangs like nothing happened, It may take new machinery, because they no longer have the old machinery to build these shapes. Maybe some of these shapes are structually incapable of being safe by todays standards. There are too many variables to count that making these could indeed be through the roof in price.

Yeah, the old cars were like rocks when it came to slight fender benders, say, in a parking lot but good luck surviving a wreck at 100 km/h in one. On the flip side, I saw a crash test of a new(er) Ford F-150 on the Discovery Channel where they reversed it into a 1 metre high pole at 8 km/h (5 miles) and it suffered $1,400 worth of damage.

Yeah' date=' the old cars were like rocks when it came to slight fender benders, say, in a parking lot but good luck surviving a wreck at 100 km/h in one. On the flip side, I saw a crash test of a new(er) Ford F-150 on the Discovery Channel where they reversed it into a 1 metre high pole at 8 km/h (5 miles) and it suffered $1,400 worth of damage.[/quote']

Try that with one of those reissue guitars.

Well when you delve deeper into it' date=' some companies don't keep the blueprints of old cars and they may have trouble making it safe in old stuff. You just can't start rollin off mustangs like nothing happened, It may take new machinery, because they no longer have the old machinery to build these shapes. Maybe some of these shapes are structually incapable of being safe by todays standards. There are too many variables to count that making these could indeed be through the roof in price.[/quote']

Kind of how like Gibson didn't keep their blueprints of the '59 burst and now every attempt they make at recreating it is deemed an epic failure but the snobs? [biggrin]

You may have a point about them not being able to meet current requirements but it was just an idea and (I thought) worth discussing.

i saw an ad for the new dodge challenger it said it has a v6 under the hood. when we where building cars in school. first thing to go was a six cyilinder. and stuff the biggest v8 we could fit in it. if there going to bring them back put a v8 in it. its like tube vs solid state in tone. no way you can make a 6 sound like an 8.

Actually' date=' reissues sustained considerably less damage in the 0 - 10 km/h crash tests than vintage bursts did.[/quote']

Cipher - cipher, carry the naught, cipher, cipher -

anybody know just how fast the headstock is moving when it falls off of the stand?

Sorry, but the Gusher in the Gulf has me thinking we should do whatever is necessary to conserve fuel; muscle cars aren't known for being fuel efficient. Don't get me wrong: I think the current Corvette is about the best-looking car on the road, but I just can't see spending that kind of money on something that, in the end, is about getting from Point A to Point B. I once owned a very well built Shelby Cobra replica with a 5.0 liter Mustang engine...it was fun for about a year, but I was happy to sell it.

Archived