Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup SG Special Faded (volume)

baptistou

Hi !

I bought a Gibson SG Special Faded 5 months ago. I have not changed the settings (pickups). At first I was playing with a POD. Few days ago I bought a VOX AC15...It's really great.

I noticed that the volume of the neck pickup was more important than the bridge pickup.

Have you ever noticed that? Is this a feature of SG?

Thanks !

... I noticed that the volume of the neck pickup was more important than the bridge pickup. Have you ever noticed that? ...

Welcome.

Not sure what you mean.

If you select the bridge or neck pickup, the volumes are separate. If you select both, the volume roll off on one will affect the other below the half way point and kill both at zero. Most two pup Gibbys are wired that way.

Hi!

Sorry for my english, I am french and i am using simple word but i notice that it's not the right vocabulary to talk about guitar.

So pohatu771 is right. My neck pickup is louder (that's the correct word) than the bridge pickup. I am going to raise the bridge pickup but i was very surprised to hear this difference between these two pickups.

My first question was to know if it happens frequently with new guitars.

Thanks ! Hope this message is better than the first one...

Don't worry about your English. It's fine. I'm sure you speak English better than any of us speak French.

About the guitar... Yes it's pretty common to have some volume difference between the two pickups. Though, in my experience, the bridge pickup is usually louder. It can be solved by adjusting the height of the pickups. To make it more quiet, lower the pickup so that it is further away from the strings (and vice versa).

When I originally got my SG, the bridge pickup was louder. It was because the pickup was higher output than the neck pickup. When I replaced the bridge pickup the volume became very even.

How do like your ac15? Is it all tube? I know they released a solid state version recently. I have an ac30 and I LOVE it. Vox makes some great amps. The ac15 is a great amp.

Hello,

I adjusted the height of the neck pickup. There is now a sound more balanced between neck pickup and bridge pickup.

About my Vox (AC15C1), it's an amazing amp. It's a new one, all tubes. Clean sound is amazing and easy to use. Inside it's a Celestion, the reverb is not great. I am using the channel Top Boost with an overdrive and it's awesome.

Nice choice on the amp. I pretty much always use the top boost channel on mine. The clean tone is awesome. I usually have it set to where it's on the top boost channel with a pretty good amount of overdrive and I roll back the volume on my guitar for a clean sound then when I want to rock out in the middle of a song I can crank up the volume and it's overdriven. Pretty useful. I don't use the tremelo much but it's pretty cool when I do use it. I like the reverb just fine. I've heard people complain about it but it works well for me so I don't mind.

When I'm playing with my band and were really going at it I turn the master volume and the top boost volume all the way up. It sounds incredible! It's really loud.

Archived