Gibson Brands Forums

The 2 minute practice tip.

I heard about this years ago from a teacher who says it works with about half the people so I'll share it with half of you ;-)

When confronted with a new, difficult fingering try this:

1) Play the passage as fast as you can without making any mistakes for 2 minutes. Without mistakes is important, even if the fastest you can play it is at a snails pace.

2) Put the guitar down for two minutes and do something completely unrelated.

Repeat as needed.

I find I learn the lick much faster this way than if I continuously repeat it. The hypothesis is while you are not playing, the muscles have time to internalize the movements.

I'm curious, for those who try this or already have tried this method, how many does it work for?

Notes ?

I have been doing something like this for a while. I will try it over and over for a while then take a break. Put my guitar down and study what I am trying then try it again.

For the times it doesn't work when I try it over and over again. If I don't get it, I find that one glass of wine, or a beer or a shot of tequila while you take a break helps! Repeat this last step several times and even if you don't get it, at least you will enjoy causing all the dogs in the neighborhood to start barking!

Play the passage as fast as you can without making any mistakes for 2 minutes. Without mistakes is important' date=' even if the fastest you can play it is at a snails pace.[/quote']

What should I do if I don't finish the passage in 2 minutes?

[biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Good advice Bob, but its only 1/3rd of the equation.

I was taught to:

- Play it slow and accurately a few times to learn the basics.

- Play it at normal speed all the way through to get the feel.

- Play it as fast as you can all the way through to get the precision.

- Wash, rinse, repeat...

I often put the guitar down to let it sink in. Sometimes its even better if I wait until the next day to try it again if its really giving me a hard time. Works like a charm most of the time.

EDIT: I just reread your post. I think our methods are actually a little different. I missed the "snail's pace" part. Yours is like the condensed version of mine.

Perhaps this is unrelated, but while we're talking about muscle memory etc. apparently if you can close your eyes and imagine watching yourself play the piece and remember where your fingers need to be it can help prepare your brain for playing it.

I heard it takes a person some 80 times or more of playing

a tune before you're good enough to play that tune in public.

Well, when i learn anything on the guitar, i beat it into me.

I just ram that stuff in my head.... over and over... and

in a couple of days... i have it down.

Repetition i think is the key.

I think you can put all the minutes you want between repeats,

but... repeating or "practice" IS STILL THE KEY.

Always has been, always will be.

Practice, practice and then more practice.

No getting around it.

CHEEKS

Epiphone Lucille

I heard it takes a person some 80 times or more of playing

a tune before you're good enough to play that tune in public.<...>

That depends on the song and your experience.

Sometimes I can play a song once, and then take it on the gig, other times I need to woodshed it first.

In Jam Sessions I often play songs on stage I've never played before as long as they aren't too complicated.

But then, I've been making my living by playing music for many years so there have been a lot of notes under these fingers.

But yes, practice, practice, practice is good advice. And the practice today helps with the new song next week. In time, you won't have to practice anything 80 times.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived