Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Robot Flying V blowout $799

Telechamp

I just noticed on my Sam Ash flyer (that they mail me) that the Robot Flying V's (as well as the Robot SG's and Explorers) are being blown out this weekend at the Sam Ash 4th of July sale for $799. I was never too interested in the Robots, but at that price... Hmm..

I wish I had looked more closely at this flyer when I received it - the V's are probably sold out by now, but I think I'll run down there and see..

Anybody snag one of these this weekend by any chance at this price?..

If I had the money I'd buy one... but I don't know if I'd get an SG or Flying V.

Even if you don't want to Robot stuff' date=' you could replace it all with standard parts for less than the cost of an SG Special.[/quote']

Good point, but - -

I just got back from the local SA and they said they never even had any Robot V's at this particular store for this sale.. They said the inventory varied store by store (even thought the ad circular said Sam Ash had Robot V's, Explorers, and SG's in stock at this $799 price)...

They didn't have any Robot Explorers, either - only 2 Robot SG's which they said sold the first day of the sale... Uh, OK...

WOW' date=' I'd take an Explorer for that price, is the sale over or will they still offer the remaining ones left at a location that has one for that price?

[/quote']

The sales guy at SA told me yesterday that if I ordered one of the Robot Explorers, V's, or SG's TODAY ONLY that I could get it at the $799 price (since I was in there yesterday for the sale and they didn't have any in stock..). They said they will honor that price today only... Seems fair enough, but...

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do.... :-k

I really don't need to be spending 800 bucks for yet another guitar, but it IS a great price...

If they make an explorer robot in tobacco burst or natural I can guarantee at least one unit will be sold :-$ (P.S. Gibson, bound neck if you're actually considering it, my exp pro kicks serious but in the feel dept. haha.)

Surprisingly good instrument ! Got an SG Silverburst @ SA on that July 4 sale. Realy excellent guitar especially for 799+tax. Always interested in unusual models but Robot WAS more than I wanted to pay for what I THOUGHT was not going to be as nice as it is. Nice case too.

You'd pay $1200. for a "regular" Gibson SG Standard. AND, anyone who has issues with the "robot features" could just use it in manual tuning mode.

BTW, some people mentioned that Robots come with two (2) allen wrenches. I noly got the really small one. Is othe other for truss rod neck adjustment? Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------

Anybody snag one of these this weekend by any chance at this price?..

aahhhhh!!! dam what the hell????? i cant beleive i missed that. its an explorer for 800, and it has trapezoid inlays, and while im not crazy about the robot stuff its still an upgrade and their selling it for 600 less than a regular explorer. im gonna email them to see if they can give me one at that price, ill let you guys know how it goes.

Any Guitar Center or Sam Ash matches prices for 30 days. You should be able to cut a deal at either of these places. The Robot models have been discontinued due to lack luster sales. My only complaint with the Robots is that they are neck heavy due to the tuners and dive like crazy. But at 800 they are a solid deal.

I have 2 robots, one based on a studio and another based on a lp special. The studio dives a little bit (not horribly) the special does not dive at all. If the studio wasn't chambered it probably wouldn't dive. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that based on that and what I've felt with stock models, and with the caveat that every piece of wood is different, the robot sg probably dives (though not necessarily from the tuners, some sg's just dive bad), the robot explorer probably does not, and the flying v could go either way.

• 4 months later...

Responding late to this post if anyone is still watching. Like you, I found out about the Robot Explorer after the sale had passed and bummed.

Well, last week I picked up a Gibson Robot Explorer on ebay for $1,099. Only another couple hundred bucks. And the seller (who has since posted another one) was a music store in Ohio.

I got the axe earlier in the week and guess what - it's brand new! Not a scratch on it. Came in the original box (they didn't mention that on the listing). Came with the warranty paper work. The charger is still in original plastic sealed packing. the tailpiece still has the protective plastic film coating.

I tested it all out and everything is in perfect working condition.

Plays and sound awesome.

So for anyone still looking to pickup a Gibson Explorer Robot Guitar - check out eBay. I think the seller I got from was Lighthouse sound or something like that.

Totally cool!

Also, I saw some Robot SG's on eBay for $699 - and they looked like they were in great shape.

Archived