Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Case GAS

zombywoof

Anybody else a guitar case addict? I have a bunch of 1940s to 1960s unused guitar cases laying around. Whenever I run across an old one in decent condition that I can score on the cheap I go ahead and buy it figuring it might come in handy some day down the line. Just recently I picked up a somewhat tattered but sturdy lacquered tweed case originally built for a 17" lower bout archtop. I don't have a big box archtop and my J-200 (which would fit in it fine) is already sitting in its original brown Lifton case. But I had to have it.

GAS - the gift that keeps on giving.

I have at least two cases for all my "working" guitars, the OHSC, and an Anvil type roadcase. I use the OHSC for general storage and throwing the guitar in the back seat, or trunk, of a car. I use the roadcases when the guitars need to be transported in a truck. I also have a generic one-size-fits-all padded gig bag for those throw it over your shoulder moments.

I have both a padded cover and a roadcase for each of my amps. They pretty much travel in the roadcases all the time these days.

I can't say I think of this as spares, but I do have options.

I do need to replace the 60+ year old L-7 case. I'm afraid one of these days the guitar is just going to fall through the bottom or the case, it's that worn. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying a new TKL for it.

I do need to replace the 60+ year old L-7 case. I'm afraid one of these days the guitar is just going to fall through the bottom or the case' date=' it's that worn. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying a new TKL for it.

[/quote']

See, that is what lay behind my inclination to accumulate cases. That tweed case I just nabbed is probably from the 1940s or early 1950s and will nestle an L-7 very nicely.

I would love to find a nice vintage Gibson case for my LG1, because as of now it resides in an old plastic Martin case, but it fits perfect and is protected so I guess I have no complaint. I just found a 15 year old Jumbo hard shell case that I will be putting my Framus 12 string in over the winter for humidity purposes. From the measurements the guy gave, it is like the case was made for the Framus! This may be the first time I actually have a hardshell case for all of my guitars!

It is nice having the original case for a guitar. However, I am mainly concerned about protecting my guitar, so I often change an old case (even though it's the original one) for a tougher case with proper protection. Many old cases do not provide adequate protection. I do like to keep the original case though. Some old cases are really cool though!

It is nice having the original case for a guitar. However' date=' I am mainly concerned about protecting my guitar, so I often change an old case (even though it's the original one) for a tougher case with proper protection. Many old cases do not provide adequate protection. I do like to keep the original case though. Some old cases are really cool though![/quote']

I have a canvas bag case that came with one of my 1930s guitars. It opens from the bottom and has all these leather straps and buckles on it. It is about the coolest looking thing I have ever seen but I ain't about to carry my guitar around in it.

But those old Lifton and Geib cases were built like iron. I keep both my J-200 and SJ in their original brown Lifton cases (Gibson started selling these with their guitars in 1947). There is a reason those cases sell for the supid money they do.

.... my Framus 12 string .....!

Don't mean to change the subject here but, Paul, you have a 12 string Framus? My mom has a 12 string Framus that she loves to the ends of the earth and back! When she moved out from Las Vegas to Pennsylavania, the movers damaged it and she was devastated. She took it to Martin's repair guy Fred (forgot his last name) and he restored it for her. She even emailed with the prez of the Framus company in Germany, who put a picture of it in their newsletter. I think it's a '64 but not certain. Do you like yours?

Zombywoof' date=' when we're looking for cases we'll know who to come to now [biggrin']

Well,, if you know anybody with a pre-1947 SJ-200 looking for a period case tell 'em to drop me a line.

Bye the bye, the mid-1960s Framus 12 string Hootenanny is bringing some serious bucks these days because of its association with the Beatles.

Hello All..!! New to this forum, joined after finding this thread in a google search. I was minding my own business, looking for a solution to something, when I ran across an ad for an Ibanez semi-hollow 335 'style' guitar. The ad was in the 'wrong' location, and sort of 'old'... but, I took a look.

Hmm... no pics... but the price was low... even for an Ibanez. I replied and got a response... "Yes, it's still for sale, here are some pics... it comes with a "non-original" hard-shell case and I'm throwing in and amp, cord, stand, etc... for the price."

Dang...!! Now I have to at least LOOK at it. Turns out the guy kinda tried to make the guitar out to be 'newer' than it was... (!!!!) not realizing the older ones of this model/type are better... anyway, the price was so low I had to go look at it. Turns out it was underpriced by about $150 for the guitar only... maybe more. The stand was nice, and the cord was a Monster Cable... fine. The case looked 'older' and looked a tad out of 'character' for an 'inexpensive' guitar.

When the guy dropped the price 20% I plain had to buy it. Got it home, cleaned it up, fixed a scratchy jack, did a non-destructive 'fix' on a 'floppy' pic guard, polished it up, filed a few 'sharp' fret ends, put on some good strings, set the intonation and the action, and... NICE little 335 type '94 Ibanez that plays great and sounds cool.

Now... after THAT long story... I took a look at the case.... this guy got it around '99, said it was 'old' at THAT time and the seller "threw it in" with the guitar. It apparently never left the house. It looks 'used' but not abused nor overly worn. It also looks 'older'. It has a metal tag on the inside identifying it as a "Lifton"...(!!!)

After careful scrutiny my 'best guess' is that it was originally for a TRINI LOPEZ 335. There is obvious wear (impressions) on the lid that indicates it had a guitar in the case with a Bigsby tremelo. The case seems too 'long' for a 'regular' 335. Interestingly, there appears to be some 'impression' on the inside of the lid, up at the headstock. This would indicate a 'non-angled' headstock..(??)

At first I thought it was a case for a 335 BASS guitar, as it was so 'long'... maybe it is... and maybe someone used it for a Trini for a while. Looking at a few pictures online, I can see that the Trini 335 indeed has a MUCH longer headstock than a reg 335. My only other guess would be a Rickenbacker of some type. I don't know if they used Lifton cases or not, or if a Rick was put into it later.

It has four 'latches' of which 3 are "one step" type latches.. the hasp closes 'over' the lid portion only. The fourth latch hooks over the lid part, 'snaps' down, and has a 'key hole'. This latch isn't like the 'larger' locking latches with a 'base plate'... just a regular latch with a locking mechanizm.

Do any of you know a way to identify these cases and find their value..?? I'm guessing the value is more than I paid for the guitar... and someone could probably use it more than I. I'm not a case 'collector'... and my guitar 'collection' has but a couple 'vintage' pieces (a 335 ..!!) due to my buying a couple guitars several decades ago for cheap. Now they are collectibles... (sigh) The rest of my guitars are 'cheaper' and at the same time 'great playing/sounding' axes.

Thanks for any help..!! Fun reading this forum..!!!!

Not sure when Lifton started but I know they were supplying Gibson with mandolin cases by 1925. The original company closed its doors in 1973. The earliest cases were black and then lacquered tweed. Around 1947 Lifton came out with the brown case which is the one most folks are familiar with. The last year Gibson used the brown cases was 1960. The brown case was reissued by Gibson I think in the 1990s but I don't have a clue what guitars they issued it for and what kind of markings were found in the cases. But you might have one of the reissues. You could do some research on lining colors and stuff like that.

The Lifton cases that are worth the most are those that were made for a specific guitar like the five latch Les Paul cases. An original Lifton case for a '59 Lester can run in the thousands of dollars.

But most of the Lifton cases were generic - made to fit any number of guitars. If yours is an original and in good condition though it would easily fetch $300-$400.

I should also point out that my two original 1950s Lifton/Gibson cases are not labeled as Lifton anyplace. I am not sure if the labels just fell off over time or perhaps the cases made under contract to Gibson did not carry the Lifton logo. But the cases do have Gibson medallions.

Thanks for the info... this case is black, but not 'alligator' skin... it has a 'medallion' on the inside of the case, on the 'neck rest' facing the lower part of the case. It's silver with red and black paint, very nice looking. The inside is not 'furry'... but more deep velvet.. and appears to be original.

There are a couple of 'tears' on the outside.. one about the size of a quarter... with the 'fabric' still 'attached'. It could be easily glued down...

One thing that strikes me is how 'thin' the case is... the inside looks to be about 2-1/2 to 3" deep, and the lid about an inch. I've not been able to find a Gibson or other brand logo on it yet... I'm looking to photograph it under different lights to see if anything shows up.

Thanks again for the reply...!!!

Don't mean to change the subject here but' date=' Paul, you have a 12 string Framus? My mom has a 12 string Framus that she loves to the ends of the earth and back! When she moved out from Las Vegas to Pennsylavania, the movers damaged it and she was devastated. She took it to Martin's repair guy Fred (forgot his last name) and he restored it for her. She even emailed with the prez of the Framus company in Germany, who put a picture of it in their newsletter. I think it's a '64 but not certain. Do you like yours?

[/quote']

Hey GG.... I just got my Framus about a week or two ago. It was listed in Craigslist for $100 as a "project" guitar or for wall art. The guy mentioned he had left it in a "humid" envionrment! (actually what he had done is leave it out of a case for years at full tension in an incredibly dry basement and the neck had cracked through the top of the guitar just under the end of the fretboard.) ;) Anyway, I had an old Boss Blues Driver sitting unused and offered it in trade to the guy and he said sure. I drove out to his place to make the swap and found the Framus in horrible condition. The neck was obviously pulling out of the screws and he still had the guitar strung up with considerable tension on it, but they were also about 2 inches above the fretboard at the end of the neck. As he checked out my blues driver, I loosened the strings on the Framus. I had already decided I needed to rescue this thing so I was happy he said yes to the trade. When I got it home the first thing I did was remove the four bolts to the neck and then saw not only the four bolt holes, but four additional holes!!!

I got some wood dowel and wood glue, measured the depth of the holes in the neck and cut four pieces of the dowel down, glued them in the holes and simply screwed the neck back in. I started with just 6 strings and tuned her up..... Low and behold, my repair held and I got her up to pitch. After a few days of that, I decided to go ahead and try 12 strings. I have now had 12 strings on it for over a week and it is staying in tune, action is low and the sound, although very quiet for a jumbo 12 string, is very pleasing to my ear. Not to mention, it only has a 1.75" nut width, but for some reason, this is the easiest playing 12 string I have ever had for fingerstyle. I am enjoying it a bunch! I just picked up a Bartolinni Sound hole pickup off Craigslist yesterday and popped it in and plugged into my Genz Benz..... WOW!!! I am in 12 string heaven!!!! It sounds amazing through the amp with the Bartolinni pickup so basically for the cost of a Boss Blues Driver (Which was a freebie throw in for me on another trade) I got a nice playing 12 string guitar with a bunch of cracks and a couple holes in the body. That is why I am getting a case for it today. (Another Craigslist find I should add). $40 for a nice heavey duty brown hardshell Jumbo case with nice padded interior. I pick it up this morning!

Here is my Framus.... Did your Mom's look like this or was hers one of the Hootenanny models ZW referred to? In the photos you can see the horribly repaired cracks on one side and the cracked hole on the other as well as the wonderful condition of the neck. I just say thank God it was a bolt on or it would have been over before it started. She is ugly as sin but plays so easy and sounds so nice....... how could I let her stay where she was and not attempt to get it playing again?

FramusNWPsm.jpg

100_0826.jpg

100_0824.jpg

100_0819.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0803.jpg

Thanks for the info... this case is black' date=' but not 'alligator' skin... it has a 'medallion' on the inside of the case, on the 'neck rest' facing the lower part of the case. It's silver with red and black paint, very nice looking. The inside is not 'furry'... but more deep velvet.. and appears to be original.

There are a couple of 'tears' on the outside.. one about the size of a quarter... with the 'fabric' still 'attached'. It could be easily glued down...

One thing that strikes me is how 'thin' the case is... the inside looks to be about 2-1/2 to 3" deep, and the lid about an inch. I've not been able to find a Gibson or other brand logo on it yet... I'm looking to photograph it under different lights to see if anything shows up.

Thanks again for the reply...!!![/quote']

It could be a 1960s case but probably not one contracted for by Gibson. Lots of other guitar makers used Lifton cases and they probably produced some just for sale to the public. You rarely see one without some rips and tears particulary around the edges. And finding an old one with the leather handle still perfectly in tact is even tougher.

That sort of top cracking along the neck of bolt on necked, flat tops is usually due to the neck block shifting. This causes the end of the neck, under the fretboard extension to shear that section of real estate. The gap, partially filled with filler, between the neck block and the top end of the body siding suggest it had failed. That and the shim also is a signal the neck block has tipped forward.

It would appear, from your photo, that the neck block is near a normal position. I suspect the 'luthier' and I use that term loosely, has securely fastened the neck block again. Norlin era bolt-on necked flat-tops fail similarly, my FT-145SB 'Texan' is one of them. I have successfully reinforced mine and it has stayed put for these past 3 years under full tension with medium gauge wires.

What is that jizz that was used to 'repair' the damage? Wood filler? Epoxy?

That sort of top cracking along the neck of bolt on necked' date=' flat tops is usually due to the neck block shifting. This causes the end of the neck, under the fretboard extension to shear that section of real estate. The gap, partially filled with filler, between the neck block and the top end of the body siding suggest it had failed. That and the shim also is a signal the neck block has tipped forward.

It would appear, from your photo, that the neck block is near a normal position. [bI suspect the 'luthier' and I use that term loosely,[/b] has securely fastened the neck block again. Norlin era bolt-on necked flat-tops fail similarly, my FT-145SB 'Texan' is one of them. I have successfully reinforced mine and it has stayed put for these past 3 years under full tension with medium gauge wires.

What is that jizz that was used to 'repair' the damage? Wood filler? Epoxy?[/b]

Luthier?!?!?!?! [blink] Nope.... the guy was a hardwood floor installer! As to what he used for his "repairs", I have no clue. I just know it has a very hard and flakey mess. I have thought about taking this to my real Luthier/Tech, but considering I just spent $40 on a hardshell case for it so I can keep it humidified this winter, I think I am just going to see how long I can keep it going. [biggrin]

A lot of guys who are "collectors" are often willing to pay BIG BUCKS, to get period exact cases for their vintage guitars. When I ask them, they almost always have gig bags or modern cases to take them out to play, say at Jams. My friend has spent as much on a case as I have on a nice guitar. But for the collector it is important. For me, I like to have the best protection for the guitar, which means a modern case for me........some of those old cases were ill fitting, were lined with rough cloth, etc, etc. I'd rather have my guitar snug in a modern case than rattling around in a vintage one.

Archived