Gibson Brands Forums

How do I get a certificate of authenticity?

ManLee

Today I purchased a Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry (2000 model) second hand from a guitar shop. it came with EVERYTHING except a certificate of authenticity. Is it possible to get a replacement?

It never had one if it is a USA model.

Only Custom Shop models come with a COA.

I saved you a phone call.

He's correct. I bought a Custom Shop CS-336 this past March and it came with a Certificate of Authenticity. The case

that came with my guitar even had a tag on it the read' date=' "The Certificate of Authenticity for this instrument is in the pocket of this case." And there it was with the model number and the Serial number written on it. Regular Gibsons do not come with this. Also, since you bought you guitar second hand the Warranty is void as you are not the original owner and

he or she would have registered their guitar when the bought it, if they were smart, to show original ownership and

entitle them to the Warranty. Unless you could somehow convince Gibson you were them, then I'd say you'll have to pay full for anything that could be covered by the Warranty. That's the chance we all take if we buy a used guitar. If it's just going to be a beater and I got a good price for the buy, I don't worry about it. But if you're looking for a little investment

value, especially on a Gibson, you're better off buying it new and being the registered owner. Unless you somehow go hold of one of Angus Young's SG's, but then they'd get you for robbery once they ran the serial number. [cool

Guest rogerb

Hi ManLee, The SG Standard (USA plant model) does not come with a certificate of authenticity. But in answer to the broader question of replacing a COA, we are unable to reissue certificates on second owned instruments.

...he or she would have registered their guitar when the bought it' date=' if they were smart, to show original ownership and

entitle them to the Warranty. Unless you could somehow convince Gibson you were them, then I'd say you'll have to pay full for anything that could be covered by the Warranty. ..[/quote']

Seems there was some discussion a few months back about a poster receiving a new Gibson as a gift. Trouble is, the gifter (Dad I think) (not a guit tar player by the way) filled out the warranty card at the shop with his own name. The giftee tried to get some warranty issue settled. "Sorry", you aren't the original owner. :-k

Did they ever get that straightened out?

Archived