Gibson Brands Forums

Differentiating between an Epiphone and Gibson

mmmihok

Hi everyone. I'm buying a Les Paul on Craigslist that's advertised as a Gibson. I'm looking for fool proof ways to confirm that this is a Gibson, not an Epiphone, so I don't get screwed. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks a lot.

Not to sound like a smart@ss, but you need to go over to the Gibson website and look at the Gibson and Epiphone models. There are many photos. Also, go to a local music store and handle both brands. You will see the differences in person, and that is the best way to learn.

Also, an Epiphone actually Says "Epiphone" on the headstock, they don't make ninja Epiphones disguised as Gibsons I don't think.

My friend told me he was going to buy an "Epiphone Gibson SG" and I told him that it's either Epiphone OR Gibson not both, that's like saying a Honda Acura RSX, but he insisted until I saw that it was an epiphone G-400 and it had "Gibson" written on the Truss Rod cover lol.

Gibson Les Paul Standard

632423.jpg

epiphone Les Paul Standard

638543.jpg

Notice the Gibson Logo on The Gibson guitar and the epiphone Logo on the Epiphone guitar.You can also distinguish other physical differences by comparing the photos if you look closely.

Some people,when selling their used Epiphone will list it as a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul. Its just a way to mess with the buyers head and use th gibson name to make the guitar sound more valuable than it is to people like yourself,who may not be too familiar with them or know the difference.

epiphone is owned by Gibson buy is not the same guitar.An epiphone which is not altered in any way will have the Epiphone logo on the headstock(top of the guitar) and is the easiest way for you to identify it.Same with Gibson.Some people do tey and alster guitars of either Epiphone or other brands to make them appear as if they were an actual Gibson,to sell them for more,often times in places such as craigslist or ebay,so if this is a concern,you should either post the phoo of the guitar here,so people can help you determine if it is authentic ,or send a photo to gibson customer service by going on the Gibson.com website and getting the email address.

More info on both guitars can also be found at places such as guitarcenter.com,gibson.com,musiciansfriend.com.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

My buddys in a mediocre band, and my bud was telln me he has a really sweet expensive guitar. So i called him and asked what kind of guitar he had and see if he wanted to jam out sometime..."Yea dude i got an Alpine White Gibson Custom with triple humbuckers...I replied "Damn thats nice bro, I have a few Gibsons my-self, love em to death..." He replied "Yea I really love my Gibson-Epiphone too...." [smile]

I'm aware a Gibson will be labeled a Gibson, and an Epiphone labeled an Epiphone. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to change the label and try to make a few hundred bucks on the internet. I was just wondering if there were any giveaways, or something that couldn't be manipulated, that would ensure I was buying a Gibson.

Here's the post. Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated. I would say I'm an intermediate player' date=' but not too familiar with Les Paul's. Always had a Strat.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1858312088.html [/quote']It's real, and not a bad price either! I would try to get him to knock about $100 off though.

I say, go for it. I bought my '01 Classic off of CL for $1,250. Best LP I ever played![cool]

Looks like a real Gibson, although I agree with that pic on the bottom left. It seems to have a weird effect on it as if it got chopped off all of a sudden, or slowly or.... Nah, it looks too legit to quit.

Hi everyone. I'm buying a Les Paul on Craigslist that's advertised as a Gibson. I'm looking for fool proof ways to confirm that this is a Gibson' date=' not an Epiphone, so I don't get screwed. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks a lot.[/quote']

First of all if you're considering the Wine Red one that's coming up when you click on the URL, with the four

pictures, you can see the bottom picture definitely shows the "Gibson" Logo inlaid on a "Gibson" style headstock

in Mother of Pearl. The TRC (Trus Rod Cover) has 2 screws and is bell shaped as opposed to the Epiphones

3 screw TRC. In the comparative picture one of the gents shows you can see the obvious difference in the top

of the headstock. The Gibson has the sort of batwing top, whereas the Epiphone's is beveled on the tops sides.

And clearly one says Gibson on the headstock and the other says Epiphone. I'm not sure how much clearer they

can make it. Epiphone has on some older models (like the older Sheratons IIs) put the logo "Epiphone by Gibson",

but more so during a certain period on more the top of the line models as Epiphone is owned by Gibson and not

vice versa, so Gibson never did the reverse by saying, "Gibson by Epiphone." Also the case looks to be the Canadian

made for Gibson USA type that was used for Gibson Les Pauls and ES-335 models (I had a case like this for mine)

that has the satin-silk cover that goes over the guitar before closing the case. Also the tilt back of the headstock,

as shows more in the picture in the case, is trademark Gibson. And the finish is definately "nitro" that Gibson uses

over the "poly" that Epiphone uses. That is definately a Gibson guitar. Also, look at the price he's asking. Compare

prices (even MSRP) out on the Gibson site of the Gibson LP Standard vs the Epiphone version. I think this man is

selling a legit Gibson guitar.

The very first thing to look at is the Truss Rod Cover. Some counterfeiters make this mistake. Gibson: 2 screws. Epiphone 3 screws. This is one of many things to look for. But if you see 3 screws... Epiphone, or counterfeit.

Your safest bet is to get good, detailed photographs and post them here. Close-ups of the headstock, neck and body. Back and front.

Archived