Gibson Brands Forums

A question about studios

slowmyheart

Hey folks. I have a 95' Black LP studio that I have been pondering trading for a newer worn brown studio. I understand that there is a slight price difference. But what exactly is the difference? I mean, I love my black studio but I have also been very fond of the worn models. Curious in Concord.

The finish on your black studio is a nice glossy finish' date=' the finish on the worn brown is thin and matte finish.

I would not trade, you would be trading down.[/quote']

+1

If you prefer the Faded model, get one... and get rid of the one you have, if necessary. But don't do an even trade. You can sell the one you have and buy a new Faded with the same money (rather than trade for a used one) or buy a used Faded and have cash left over.

Pickups and finish are the difference between the guitars. If you like the Faded better, don't deprive yourself because it's "not as good" as what you have.

Personally, I love those thin faded finishes, the closer to raw wood the better fot me!

Theoretically they are the bloody same except for finish and pickups. The other differences are subtleties of the wood or the production that can be not so subtle, so test some in a store, if you find one that you think feels better then the one you already have, just go for it.

But try not to make a direct trade, try selling it for a bit more than the faded, in case you feel you need a pickup/tuner change.

__

Thanks for all the quick replies and comments. Now I do wonder what might be the blue book for a 95 studio? And for what it's worth' date=' the tuners have been changed to Groovers. [/quote']

Hello SLowmyheart,

Here u go, the Les Paul Studio from 1995:

Les Paul body with carved maple top/mahogany body

Mahogany neck with rounded 1950's profile

in 1995 we did the Rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets

Gibson 490-R and 498-T Alnico humbuckers in Rhythm and Treble positions

Nashville Tune-o-matic bridge, Stop bar tailpiece

The faded Les Paul Studio has a thinner layer of nitro finish which is buffed in a different way to achieve the faded look. Applying the nitro finish layer by layer is a very time consuming procedure, as each layer has to dry out completely before the next one can be applyed. For this reason the faded models go at a lower price, than the Les Paul models with a glossy look.

Personally' date=' I love those thin faded finishes, the closer to raw wood the better fot me!

Theoretically they are the bloody same except for finish and pickups. The other differences are subtleties of the wood or the production that can be not so subtle, so test some in a store, if you find one that you think feels better then the one you already have, just go for it.

But try not to make a direct trade, try selling it for a bit more than the faded, in case you feel you need a pickup/tuner change.

__

[/quote']

Thanks for all the quick replies and comments. Now I do wonder what might be the blue book for a 95 studio? And for what it's worth' date=' the tuners have been changed to Groovers. [/quote']

Yours isn't chambered...witch is a huge difference from the faded models IMHO..I prefer weight relieved over chambered, and i would also think you'd be downgrading....so have fun and rock out with your already "worn" in 95 studio .#-o If your really set on trading it in, just test out all the models in your price range and get the one you prefer the most..If your trading it into a store, alot of the stores I've been there "policy" is to give you 25% trade of what your instrument is originally worth..so your looking at about 400$ trade...On ebay you may be able to get up to 600$-700$ depending on condition.

I have a 97 ebony Studio (shinny) AND a faded cherry Studio. Interestingly, I changed to metal grover tuners for my ebony too. I got both of them for the different pickups. The faded has the BB pros the new Standards come with, and that's what I wanted. So, I have the best of both worlds with the 490-R and 498-T's from the ebony and the BB's from the faded. I don't see it as a 'trade down', as you get the hot BB pros. It's up to you, in the end.

Archived