Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else tired of coddling your Gibson?

DonCarlos

Man, am I glad to read this, because I was starting to feel guilty about NOT coddling my AJ. Hangs on a Hercules wall hanger by the living room couch and is played daily. Only time it goes in the case is travelling to gigs or during the worse dry winter months. I do keep track of house humidity and use a Planet Waves soundhole insert when humidity goes too low, and keep an old shirt nearby as my skin does seem to fog up the finish. (And the insect repellent goes on me before the long-sleeve top goes on when I'm playing out - I learned the hard way that there's not much worse than a mosquito chomping down or gnat divebombing mouth when both hands are busy).

One thing I don't do anymore is use a stand onstage. Bandmate knocked it over just after I got it. Thankfully no apparent damage, but now it stays on me at all times.

Coddle eggs!!

Play guitars!!

(having said that all my guitars from Gibsons to C&Cs have cases!)

The next thread will be all about adding "mojo" to guitars ( yawn!)

What a perverse bunch we are !

( LOL Please note the "WE")

I think how "clean" you keep your guitars depends a lot on if you're planning to resell your guitars at some point. I don't, so don't mind if I ding/scratch them, even though I haven't really as far as yet; or if I have I haven't noticed.

And as Johnt just said, when we see a 50s J-45 all banged up we go "Wow, look at that beauty, now that's what you call mojo!". I hope in 60 years my J-45 will get that reaction.

I've got several guitars. Don't know if any are coddled. Bought a $59 Rogue and a $169 Mitchell and I use them for bar gigs where there is lots of smoke and outdoor gigs when it's very hot or cold/wet, etc..(Yet, if the bar is an upscale place, I could take one of my Gibsons or Martins)... I typically won't take any of my other guitars to those types of venues, and they range in value from around 500-4000. They are all played at various venues, but I will not take them anywhere I feel they could be damaged. Things happen, but you've got to use commonsense. If I'm likely to end-up sitting a few feet from a campfire on a chilly fall night, I doubt I'll be playing my J150 or even my Atlas Breedlove. I won't sit under a hot summer sun with my Hummingbird or HD28. I won't take my Songwriter to a seedy bar, but I will play it at libraries and abused children's homes. My Johnny Cash D42 goes out quite-a-bit too for open mics and festivals. They all get played. This isn't brain surgery. ///////A few years ago at Winfield, in a pouring rain storm, there was some dude sitting on a folding chair in 6 inches of water playing a Taylor 814---that situation might require brain surgery. Beautiful instrument, and to me it was abuse. On the otherhand, it was his guitar to play where he wanted.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

NO! In fact my mom just finished knitting a sweater for my H-bird...[blink]

Seriously though, I was fine with the various dings, etc. I put on my Martin and Blues King, then I got this minty 01 H-bird last December. It is so beautiful I don't want to mess it up. Now I started coddling them all...[confused]

I suppose eventually I will get back to where I was...

I agree w/TP on the humidity thing. I do think this is important to regulate.

when i first got my j45 i was worried of the top cracking but i realize the climate im in is pretty good and I don't have to worry much. My luthier and old boss just said yes it was expensive but just enjoy it and it might get scratched up but its better to just enjoy it and I have

Raising four sons these past 11 years - everything in the house, the yard, the garage, is broken. And I mean everything. So my guitar stays in its case ALL the time. It's been strangely liberating however, albeit annoying - I no longer value Things as I used to, and it makes my life more authentic it seems...

Thanks for this post though, being that I live in Calif. nearish the ocean, I'm probably ok hanging my git on the wall, out of reach of the toddlers. Funny, I don't mind if the body gets dinged a bit, don't mind at all, but dings on the neck tend to freak me out. My initial metal capo did all kind of skid marks on the neck. I hate them. I now use only the elastic band capo which does not do this and also maintains better tuning I've found.

Archived