Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day UPDATE WITH PICS

Silenced Fred

Samick make very nice affordable axes

I needed an acoustic, and I know this may sound like BS, but to me, it sounded way better than the 500 dollar Martins or Taylors.

I hope to get a nice Martin one day, but could not swallow the 1600 price tag that came along with it.

Nice!!!

Its not so crazy.... its what feels best and sounds best to you

I have one of those low end Martin's but the American made ones, the OM-1, solid wood throughout but laminate neck....sounds pretty darn good.

Do you mean the lower lower end ones?

Nice!!!

I have one of those low end Martin's but the American made ones' date=' the OM-1, solid wood throughout but laminate neck....sounds pretty darn good.

Do you mean the lower lower end ones?[/quote']

The ones that are like 500 retail, I couldn't get good sounds from it. Probably just the sound I am looking for, this is more mellow.

Seagulls are amazing guitars, I really dig their sound, but this Samick spoke to me. Photos up later today

Nice!!!

I have one of those low end Martin's but the American made ones' date=' the OM-1, solid wood throughout but laminate neck....sounds pretty darn good.

Do you mean the lower lower end ones?[/quote']

The ones that are like 500 retail, I couldn't get good sounds from it. Probably just the sound I am looking for, this is more mellow.

Seagulls are amazing guitars, I really dig their sound, but this Samick spoke to me. Photos up later today

Guest rogerb

I bought a Samick acoustic several years ago, had the vine inlay on the fingerboard. It was a very nice sounding axe and looked great.

The one rule I tend to stick to with <1k USD acoustics is that at least the top has to be a solid piece and not particle/pressboard. Those pressboard tops sound dull, muted, and lifeless. My wife has a 3/4 scale Takamine starter acoustic. Probably retailed for <$100, but because it is a solid top this little baby sings.

The one rule I tend to stick to with <1k USD acoustics is that at least the top has to be a solid piece and not particle/pressboard. Those pressboard tops sound dull' date=' muted, and lifeless. My wife has a 3/4 scale Takamine starter acoustic. Probably retailed for <$100, but because it is a solid top this little baby sings. [/quote']

Yup, it sounds good. Solid top. For a 3/4 sized guitar, no joke, look at the Hannah Montana guitars. I played one at a Sam Ash just as a joke, and for the price, it sounded good, really good. They wanted 25 for it, I should've bought it then, but then I would have to look at that gift horse in the mouth I suppose... (is that where the phrase comes from?)

The one rule I tend to stick to with <1k USD acoustics is that at least the top has to be a solid piece and not particle/pressboard. Those pressboard tops sound dull' date=' muted, and lifeless. My wife has a 3/4 scale Takamine starter acoustic. Probably retailed for <$100, but because it is a solid top this little baby sings. [/quote']

Martin OM-1 is American, solid sapele top, solid rosewood back, sides, laminate neck.

Pretty nice for $900

500.00 dollar Martin; is there such a thing? I didn't think so; Samick make guitars for everyone. That could be a branded Ibanez' date=' Fender or another guitar with their real neck on it and less expensive for sure. Nothing wrong with that hell I have a 179.00 Yamaha Acoustic FG-350 guitar that was MIJ and sound and is better than most guitar in the 1500 to 2000 dollar range. Oh I almost forgot this guitar is over 30 years old.

[b']Treat it like a lady[/b] (if your old enough to know how or ask your father) and it will take care of you. Great guitar to take camping when they let you or family events.

-Take it out to dinner?

-Make an honest woman out of it?

-Make love to it (by the fire)?

-Keep it warm at night?

-Make eye contact and be a good listener?

-Be hers and hers alone?

Shoot, maybe I'm being too literal here...:-

Congrats Fred. Just curious, you bought the guitar at Sam Ash and they didn't try to sell you a case? We were up at a local Sam Ash Wednesday last (my Son's Gretsch was getting a setup). Sales guy sold a $400 Yamaha to a Mom/Dad/Kid and proceeded to show a half dozen cases for it (Basically he was trying to shove one of the cases down their throats).

500.00 dollar Martin; is there such a thing? I didn't think so; Samick make guitars for everyone. That could be a branded Ibanez' date=' Fender or another guitar with their real neck on it and less expensive for sure. Nothing wrong with that hell I have a 179.00 Yamaha Acoustic FG-350 guitar that was MIJ and sound and is better than most guitar in the 1500 to 2000 dollar range. Oh I almost forgot this guitar is over 30 years old.

Treat it like a lady (if your old enough to know how or ask your father) and it will take care of you. Great guitar to take camping when they let you or family events.

[/quote']

LInky LInk [biggrin]

I don't like em, don't know too much about em besides its a Martin. I really couldn't find a Martin I liked for under 1500 or something like that. Taylors I liked a little bit more in the lower end range (>1k) , the 214 is sweet. I don't care what it is, it sounds good and I like it. Isn't it all that matters?

I didn't buy it at a SamAsh, smaller local store, They didn't have any jumbo acoustic cases there. Told me they could order one, damn thing cost almost as much as the guitar! [-(

I'm gonna have to look around for one, I don't want to spend 150 on the case. I can do 100, but hopefully can find something in the 50 dollar range. I'm gonna try and get some recordings up for everyone.

Archived