Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson True Vintage Acoustic Bone Saddles

grOOved

I know that Gibson puts a bone nut and saddle on the TV models, but my TV 'Bird's saddle is non-compensated... anyone know if this intentional or just lazy of Gibson? The saddle is definitely shaped somewhat but just has the center as the point. I was looking at this picture for reference...

compensated-saddle.jpg

Your picture isn't showing up but just because you have a non-compensated bone (TV) saddle, doesn't mean you can't swap it out for a compensated one. Bob Collosi makes beautiful ones. Keep the TV saddle in case you ever want to return it to factory TV condition.

I'll check out Bob's saddles. I was going to try to shape it myself - not too difficult with a dremel, but since they shaped it to a point at the middle, you can't do it (worst thing they could have done). If this is to be period-correct, then I guess I understand... but then again I believe 60s Hummingbirds all had adjustable saddles...

I did change out the saddle in my TV Southern Jumbo for a compensated one. It helped out tremendously. Especially when playing the higher frets.

I changed mine because the intonation on the higher frets was off just a little. I got a new bone saddle from Colosi. It was perfect, other than sanding the bottom to my desired height. All you need is some fine sandpaper, or just mail the one in the guitar to Bob and he'll do it for you. Shaped to a point in the middle is not an issue.

Still learning the Gibson ropes' date=' but I believe the saddle is period-correct, as are the other TV features.[/quote']

The Hummingbird originally came with an adjustable ceramic saddle bridge. The bridge with all the associated hardware weighed almost three times as much as a standard non-adjustable belly up bridge.

The Hummingbird originally came with an adjustable ceramic saddle bridge. The bridge with all the associated hardware weighed almost three times as much as a standard non-adjustable belly up bridge.

Yes, the True Vintage line is a mash-up of the "best" features of vintage Gibsons from several periods. They are not suppossed to represent a guitar from any particular year, as the Legend series does.

Red 333

Yes' date=' the True Vintage line is a mash-up of the "best" features of vintage Gibsons from several periods. They are not suppossed to represent a guitar from any particular year, as the Legend series does.

Red 333[/quote']

No argument here. My take was that the True Vintage guitars are representations rather than a spot on reproduction of something from a past catalog and combine features from various guitars with a few modern twists thrown in.

Archived