Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson headstock logo

KL

Please can anyone tell me why some recent Gibson Acoustics have a dot over the 'i' in the word Gibson on the headstock and some do not. (This is an inlaid logo)

I'm looking at a 2007 J-185. It's allegedly a TV model. No Maltese crosses and no dot over the 'I' on the logo. Otherwise it is a beautiful looking guitar.

Thanks

Seems another thread on the same guitar was posted at the same time as mine Karen! I've been looking at it for a few days. I really like the wood grain on it, but there are a couple of weird features I don't get which makes me unsure about it. I am certain it's a Gibson, but why they did the logo without the dot is strange.

Perhaps I just haven't paid enough attention over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing a Gibson logo in the current style missing the dot on the "i". I believe that the position of the dot might have varied a bit, but it seems like it's always at least been visible.

I did see the photos on the other thread, where you could see the work around the inlay looked rather shoddy. I have seen this before on a few recent Gibsons and there were recently some posts over on the AGF inquiring about this.

I realize that Gibson has been all over the map when it comes to things like trim, labels, etc.. But I'd do some pretty deep digging when it comes to something like this particular logo inlay. Maybe someone else will chime in with a Gibson they bought new from a dealer missing the dot.

Keep us posted,

Guth

Guth: I'm with you on this. I am very suspicious about the logo. Of ALL the things that Gibson would NOT want to f**k with it would be their logo. With all the fakes in the world, for Gibson to allow variations on their trademarked Gibson logo is a bit fantastic for me to believe.

I just wouldn't buy a Gibson that had a variation from the standard logo, even from a geniune dealer.

I'm with you all on this dot over the "i" thing, it's really unusual, but I'm still finding it hard to believe that that guitar was not made by Gibson. Isn't the most likely explanation that it is an error at the factory that was overlooked by quality control?

If you look closely at the photos you can see the dot over the i. It is almost clear like laquer over the black. I looked at my 2005 J-45 RW and 2004 SJ , which have the same logo, and both dots are almost like the holes were filled in with clear laquer and not a peice of mother of pearle.

If you look closely at the photos you can see the dot over the i. It is almost clear like laquer over the black. I looked at my 2005 J-45 RW and 2004 SJ ' date=' which have the same logo, and both dots are almost like the holes were filled in with clear laquer and not a peice of mother of pearle.[/quote']

OK so I've got the hubble space telescope lined up and when I magnify it to HUGE you are right! But that is REALLY difficult to see. So oldguy, if you actually are an old guy you have got extremely well preserved vision!!

The dot on the 'i' on my J-185 is much darker than the rest of the logo, and it's hard to see. I tried to take a picture of it but of course the flash illuminates it. But trust me, it's a lot darker. I wonder if it's harder to get a true deep cut into the headstock when dealing with something as small as that dot?

IMG_1135.jpg

If you look closely at the photos you can see the dot over the i. It is almost clear like laquer over the black. I looked at my 2005 J-45 RW and 2004 SJ ' date=' which have the same logo, and both dots are almost like the holes were filled in with clear laquer and not a peice of mother of pearle.[/quote']

Not in the images from the eBay auction you can't. I blew it up large in photoshop and digitally enhanced it. There is nothing there.

The second photo in MY post on the other thread is a J-185 from Gibson's website.

Archived