Gibson Brands Forums

What do they use to fix a headstock?

heymisterk

I guess this could apply to other guitar breaks as well, but as an SG guy, I am curious to know what luthiers use to fix a headstock break. I mean, it would seem that wood is stronger than the glue it eventually fixes, but all the people I talk to say that once a neck is repaired correctly, it is actually more solid than before. So do they use some sort of "Superglue" for wood?

Hide Glue is the glue of choice because it doesn't creep. i.e. it doesn't allow the joint to move microscopically, like pulling on taffy, until the bond breaks.

Actually, properly glued and clamped, a glued joint is stronger than the wood around it. The only time this kind of joint will fail if it is very old and allowed to dry out to the point the glue is dust.

I guess this could apply to other guitar breaks as well, but as an SG guy, I am curious to know what luthiers use to fix a headstock break. I mean, it would seem that wood is stronger than the glue it eventually fixes, but all the people I talk to say that once a neck is repaired correctly, it is actually more solid than before. So do they use some sort of "Superglue" for wood?

NOPE...Elmers glue is basically wood glue. A nice wood coffee table is made of pieces of wood GLUED together. Drop a 300 lb woman on it and I guaranty it will NOT break at the seams/joints. Run your guitar over with your truck...it too will not break at the joints...glue-joint be stronger than wood.

So, go ahead and break that neck...it WILL be stronger when properly fixed...but loose 25% of it's value. ;-)

Archived