Gibson Brands Forums

Gotoh Kluson type tuners on a Dot?

alfsboy

now I have my Dot SE fully sorted for playing I am slowly going to uprate and change all the hard ware.It doesnt really need it but I prefer nickel to chrome and the Gotoh items are very well made . I already have a Gotoh nickel bridge installed and will soon order a tail stop and some tuners .Later I will upgrade the pickups and have nickel covers as well .Also black knobs .

The main question I'm asking is will the Grover mounting holes be covered by the Kluson type base .

thanks in advance for any advice

The problem with that idea is that the Gotoh bushings are going to fall out of the larger holes that were drilled for the Grovers. You can do a number of things: you can plug the holes and re-drill them with the smaller diameter; you can try and find "adapter bushings" that will fit the old holes; but the easist thing is to blow off the Gotohs and get the Grover vintage (135 series) tuners... you get that cool keystone look and the nickel plating but with a drop-in fit:

http://www.grotro.com/Mainvintage.html

P.S. These are the same tuners that Gibson uses on a lot of their guitars these days; they just say "Grover" on the covers instead of "Gibson".

I think it's the screw holes in the back of the headstock you're thinking about... right ?

Yes, they'll usually be covered up by the mounting plate of the Kluson style tuners. [depending on exactly which other tuners were fitted previously...but with standard Epi Grover-alikes, yes].

Rotcan's suggestion of the Grover made Vintage Keystones with the screw in bushings is maybe the favourite.

Some after market adaptor bushings won't accomodate the Gotoh Keystones because they're made to suit repro tuners with a typical 6mm post diameter. The Gotohs have the more vintage correct 6.3mm [1/4"] posts. Sometimes they'll go through and sometimes not. Sure, you can ream or file out the bushings...but it might be easier to go for the Grovers ;^)

Wow ,thanks for the advice .My initial question was about the little screw holes on the back but the advice on getting vintage style Grovers is well taken .I'll get those instead of Gotohs.I didnt know Grover made them .They will look great and thanks for the advice .The other cosmetic alteration I may make is to fit some cream coloured pickup rings if I can get any that may fit or be modified .I will also try toning down the shine a tad on the paint work by using fine wire wool and some chroma 1500 auto finish .none of this is remotely needed but for me ,at least, great fun .

thanks everyone

I have put the Grover Vintage Green Keystones on three of my Epis. All of my Epis had the Grovers with the screw on the back that was straight in line with the other tuners, not at an angle. I don't know how to better describe it. The cover didn't quite cover all of the screw hole, but they were probabably about 90-95% covered. They look great and they were very easy to install.

If you have Grovers on there, Grover makes a set of Kluson-style tuners, in nickel, for the hole-size that's drilled in your Dot HS. Here's what they look like. You can find these at Elderly Instruments, AllParts, some music stores, and a bunch of other places.

TK_7940-001-135.jpg[/img]

If you have Grovers on there, Grover makes a set of Kluson-style tuners, in nickel, for the hole-size that's drilled in your Dot HS. Here's what they look like. You can find these at Elderly Instruments, AllParts, some music stores, and a bunch of other places.

TK_7940-001-135.jpg

Archived