Gibson Brands Forums

guitar decals

wylderocks

<...snip...>the reason being that i wanted to put the zakk wylde bullseye decal on to the body.<...>

A Bullseye???

In some of the clubs I've played in, that is asking for trouble :-D

I'd want to put the bullseye on the piano player, at least he has something to hide behind.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Notes

If you mean the sets I see on ebay all the time, be aware they're NOT decals per se. They're vinyl stickers. The few I've personally seen looked okay from 15 or 20 feet, but up close were pretty sloppy. On one in particular, some the adhesive had seeped out from under the sticker (from the sticker shifting in moderate heat) and the owner found himself with a shadow of lint, pocket fuzz and assorted crud around the design.

They also don't lay flush with the surface of the guitar like an actual decal. Being vinyl, they lay on top of the finish and the thickness of the sticker is noticable.

Alignment is also something to consider. The stickers tend to stretch while you're applying them, or trimming around the hardware mountings. Most of the "bullseye" designs aren't one solid sticker that covers the face of the guitar either. They're usually black, white or cream rings (depending on the base color of your guitar) that have to be applied individually. Keeping them aligned and symetrical is something of a handful...literally.

I'm not trying to discourage you - done correctly, they don't look bad (though not on the same par with a factory bullseye finish). Just letting you know what you may be in for before you take the plunge.

FlyingFrets makes some good points. A carved top will be hard to apply the decal to...more than likely it will be a series of individual rings transfered via a top carrier (kind of a low-tack masking tape) which will then be removed after the application. Problem comes in as F.F. mentioned that most of the "decals" on EBAY are made using junk, 4 mil, calandered vinyl. It's a short-term, low-gloss, unstable, product that has very low conformability and adhesion properties. Fine for a Yard Sale sign not so hot for your car or your guitar. Biggest benefit it offers is that it's cheap. Cheaper that wholesale dirt cheap. But that is a benefit to the seller not the end user who has to attempt to place this glorious abortion. What can ya do? Demand 2mil high performance cast vinyls from 3M, Avery, or Oracal, for starters, a product that might actually work and look presentable. These products are ok from OEM automotive and marine manufactures so, properly applied they will work as good as could be expected from this type of product. Got little or no experience? Try a good decal on a flat guitar first. Will it live? Maybe... You can clear over good vinyls and then it would definately work. Motorcycles use this proceedure alot on newer offerings. Look, I sell this stuff for a living, been in the vinyl worlds for over two decades. I wouldn't do it to any guitar I own. I hate to see nimrods push junk vinyl on anybody simply to line their own untalented, greedy, pockets. Done right, it can enhance an appearance on just about anything but if it gets to the point where you're ready to do a graphic improvement: find a good shop and/or a good artist and investigate custom paint work. Even some good possibly printed vinyls under a clear coat, is an option. Just avoid flee-market, flee-bag, 4-mil intermediate vinyls and those who sell them like the plague. Wedgie

Archived