Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Repair & Maintenance Publications

brad1

Lately I have wanted to get hold of some type of book that covers all the basics in repair/maintenance. But since I already know a lot of the basics, I also wanted something that I could use later as I progressed in my knowledge and

skills. There is no shortage of such books. But I wanted to pick the one that I thought would be the best for me.

I found one the other day and wanted to share it with those of you who might be looking for something similar.

It's called Guitar Player Repair Guide, (3rd edition, by Dan Erlewine). It's about 320 pages. It is very comprehensive, has a lot of good photos, diagrams, charts, etc. . It also has many interviews with legendary players and their guitar techs. Also came with a DVD. I watched most of the DVD the night I brought it home (I couldn't stop!).

Just about everything is covered in this book. I also like the fact that is was for both acoustic and electric guitars.

Others may not find the book to their liking. But I thought it was by far the best value I have found anywhere. It was $29.99. A book beside it at the local chain store was 1/10 the size, only for electrics, and cost the same.

Anyway that's my recommendation for the year/week/day/hour.

Who else can recommend some good guitar literature? ; be it repair, maintenance, history, or anything else guitar related. I'm always interested in good guitar reading material.

Lately I have wanted to get hold of some type of book that covers all the basics in repair/maintenance. But since I already know a lot of the basics' date=' I also wanted something that I could use later as I progressed in my knowledge and

skills. There is no shortage of such books. But I wanted to pick the one that I thought would be the best for me.

I found one the other day and wanted to share it with those of you who might be looking for something similar.

It's called [u']Guitar Player Repair Guide[/u], (3rd edition, by Dan Erlewine). It's about 320 pages. It is very comprehensive, has a lot of good photos, diagrams, charts, etc. . It also has many interviews with legendary players and their guitar techs. Also came with a DVD. I watched most of the DVD the night I brought it home (I couldn't stop!).

Just about everything is covered in this book. I also like the fact that is was for both acoustic and electric guitars.

Others may not find the book to their liking. But I thought it was by far the best value I have found anywhere. It was $29.99. A book beside it at the local chain store was 1/10 the size, only for electrics, and cost the same.

Anyway that's my recommendation for the year/week/day/hour.

Who else can recommend some good guitar literature? ; be it repair, maintenance, history, or anything else guitar related. I'm always interested in good guitar reading material.

I love that book but mine didn't come with a DVD (2nd edition). You might also check out "Guitar Electronics For Musicians" by Donald Brosnac. It's a little dated (1983) but the basic guitar electronic information (that isn't covered as much in Erlewine's book) is still useful. There's no question that Dan Erlewine's book is the best out there for guitar repair and maintenance.

...and Al's your uncle

"Totally Guitar' by Toby Bacon and Dave Hunter has a very good section on basic guitar maintenance and repair, with very good close up up color photos. Most other books have B&W photos, and color can be helpful, especially when showing how pots otr pickups are wired, etc.

Dan Erlewine has another EXCELLENT book, "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!". This one takes you through a set-up step by step, includes snap out raduis guages to help you, and to me, is better organized and more detailed than his "Guitar Player Repair Guide." There's nothing in it about acoustics, though, nor does it have any of those great stories about how famous players prefer their set ups.

If you want to learn more about fret replacement or dressing, Dan aslo contributed to "Fret Work Step by Step." LOTS of detailed, sequential black and white photos.

Stewart MacDonald's "Trade Secrets" series is also good (more of Dan in there, Dan fans), but since each volume is a compendium of articles published seperately, there's not enough context for a beginner. I wouldn't recommend hese as a first or only book.

Red 333

Archived