Gibson Brands Forums

...And Ampage for all

Biff Velvet

Im having some issues with my first amp. Its a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watts. I have problems when I turn the volume up past..oh..about 4 or 5...things just sound like a gargled mess. I like all the effects and stuff, and it can sound pretty cool through my Epi, however, when I feel like rockin out...the volume becomes a issue and its hard to hear all the notes sometimes.

I live in a apartment, so 15-30 watts is most suitable...what im getting at is..what is considered as the "BEST" 30 watt combo amp available? Again, I dont need a 150 watt monster because I couldnt make full use of it... Id rather spend enough for a good investment now, rather than losing money on trade ins over and over again!

Suggestions? Experiences?

THANKS!

You may have answered your own question on the 15 to 30 watt amp....go try an epi blues custom 30. You can have either 15 or 30 watts...and let me tell you, the 15 watt side is gonna get you yelled at from your neighbors...lol It's loud and the 30 watt side is plenty loud enough to play gigs with. Besides that...they are great sounding amps. Gonna be My next amp.

I already have the Epi galaxie 10..and for the world I can't figure why they stopped making that amp. Other than not having reverb, it's a very good lil amp...Mine is quiet running and can get plenty loud...turn the gain up to about 7 and can get very good distortion out of it. I've heard, "18 watts is half as loud as 100 watts" when it comes to tube amps...a buddy of mine had an 18 amp built for him and gigs with it every weekend and in some pretty big "juke joints" and no one has any trouble hearing him.

Capt

Biff, it's funny you brought this up. I just tried the Line 6 a few hours ago & your description is dead on. It just kinda growls and squeals at you (and I never even tried the "Insane" setting). Totally indistinguishable mud...with your choice of chorus/flange, phasing or delay. Delayed mud...sounds like something only a laxative would fix :-k .

Anybody wanna weigh in on the Valve Jr? I haven't tried one yet, but I've heard it's a pretty hot little amp

Was researching small tube amps myself,looked at a valve jr,blackheart,fender champion,ect

then I ran across this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-AC108

It arrived yesterday. I have a big Behringer amp that I think is pretty good so I decided to give it a shot.

After all if I hate it I can return it.After reading HC reviews I didn't really think I'd like it as much as I do.

I haven't really scratched the surface,only played it for about 2 hrs with work doing overtine and all.

So far I'd have to give props to Berhinger. I think this might be the best small amp I've heard for $80.

It should be noted that only the preamp is tube,the output is their ultra tube circuitry,but still this tiny thing sounds amazing.I wanted the sound of this:

59a3_12.jpg

And it does it really well.

Ok I've been playing different guitars thru this,My G-400,My Les Paul,My Strat,and my '85 flying V.Both with and without my digitech rp80.I'm thinking this little amp is all I'm playing thru from now on.Without the processor I get pick dynamics and tube breakup,with the pedal its a sweet voiced overdriven monster and either way very loud for its size.

Heck I had to turn it down.And I live alone in a house.This is the sound I was looking for!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVF1EFx1OmI

Recorded with a webcam headset mic.Still I think you can hear the warmth.

Biff, it's funny you brought this up. I just tried the Line 6 a few hours ago & your description is dead on. It just kinda growls and squeals at you (and I never even tried the "Insane" setting). Totally indistinguishable mud...with your choice of chorus/flange, phasing or delay. Delayed mud...sounds like something only a laxative would fix :-k .

You said it my man! A shop nearby is having a sale, so I wanted some opinion. This Spider III is grossing me out! I believe I have narrowed it down to the Peavy Valve King, The Valvetronix and the Fender Champion-somethin'or other based on the recommendation of a salesman (take it for what its worth)

....p.s I know the valvekings are 50w, but Ive heard really nice things!

p.p.s If I end up walking out of the store with a Flying V...its Daneman's fault (credit?!?) lol.

Biff Velvet wrote:

"p.p.s If I end up walking out of the store with a Flying V...its Daneman's fault (credit?!?) lol"

Don't blame me I didn't post that video...yet. Or shoot it even.But the dirty fingers pickups sounded pretty good tonight. How do you think my amp sounds?

(Oh sorry didn't mean to jack your thread,I just thought everyone should know these aint bad at all.)

Bought a Spider III 75 1x12 and took it home after gigging a couple of weeks with it and went back to the Roland. About a month ago I bought the Vox AD50VT and left the Spider sitting on consignment at the music store. I hope it sells. Not that the Spider is a bad amp, it's just way too digital sounding. the emulations are too artificial and there's no real warmth or feel to it. When it breaks up in overdrive at stage volume, you wince and try not to do that again.

I agree with the guys that recomend a tube amp, you can get a small tube amp that will sound so much better than that Line6 piece of poop. When I got back into electric guitar about a year ago I bought a SpiderIII 30 w. and let me tell ya that ain't gonna be a step up from what you have now, that thing sounds thin and fizzy at best. I bought a used Hughes & Kettner and could'nt be happier. A tube amp will make a cheap guitar soumd good, and a Line6 will make a great guitar sound terrible at best. Oh BTW I tried a Line6 Boggner a couple of weeks ago, not impressed at all. No offense meant there Biff Velvet I made the same mistake you made in believing the hype and ads. Good luck!

A Valve Junior or a similar small 5W class A amp beats the sh.. out of the small solid-state amps.

The best part is that you can get one these days for just about 100 euros/70 pounds ...

HB GA5, 5W and 10.5kg - never leave home without it...

107783-80-spin.gif

A Valve Junior or a similar small 5W class A amp beats the sh.. out of the small solid-state amps.

The best part is that you can get one these days for just about 100 euros/70 pounds ...

HB GA5' date=' 5W and 10.5kg - never leave home without it...

[img']http://images4.thomann.de/pics/thumb/107783-80-spin.gif[/img]

M123 just came through with a new Blackheart 5 watt head, supposed to maximize the single 12AX7/EL84 design. Should arrive Tuesday(?), after which I can spend a lot of time comparing it to a stock version 2 Valve Junior 5 watt 12AX7/EL84.

Fortune smiled upon me for Valentine's Day!

M123 just came through with a new Blackheart 5 watt head' date=' supposed to maximize the single 12AX7/EL84 design. Should arrive Tuesday(?), after which I can spend a lot of time comparing it to a stock version 2 Valve Junior 5 watt 12AX7/EL84.

[/quote']

I can't wait for that comparison. I'm looking at getting the VJ half stack but am waiting to hear a good comparison between it and the Blackheart.

M123 just came through with a new Blackheart 5 watt head' date=' supposed to maximize the single 12AX7/EL84 design. Should arrive Tuesday(?), after which I can spend a lot of time comparing it to a stock version 2 Valve Junior 5 watt 12AX7/EL84.

[/quote']

Check this demo out this guy made on it:

Oh' date=' my. Speaks well for my new amp, doesn't he?

[/quote']

I knew you would come around tonight and spray us with GAS fumes again, you seemed a little too quiet I got rather suspicious. Im trying to cut up my credit card, but I can't find any scissors.:D

O:)

I agree with the guys that recomend a tube amp' date=' you can get a small tube amp that will sound so much better than that Line6 piece of poop. When I got back into electric guitar about a year ago I bought a SpiderIII 30 w. and let me tell ya that ain't gonna be a step up from what you have now, that thing sounds thin and fizzy at best. I bought a used Hughes & Kettner and could'nt be happier. A tube amp will make a cheap guitar soumd good, and a Line6 will make a great guitar sound terrible at best. Oh BTW I tried a Line6 Boggner a couple of weeks ago, not impressed at all. No offense meant there Biff Velvet I made the same mistake you made in believing the hype and ads. Good luck![/quote']

Oh, I know the Spider IIIs are junk, I have the 15 watt currently and was just looking for suggestions on Non-spider amps in the 30 watt range. Its my first amp so I essentially just picked what I could find on the super cheap. Ohh how I learned my lesson.

Archived