Gibson Brands Forums

Korean DOT worth more than new?

Yougain

I personally wouldn't pay $500 for a used Dot just cause it was made in Korea. Now if it had a ton of upgrades and a hardshell case, that's another story, and even then I'm not so sure I would. I'm always looking for a good deal. I have one made in China and it is a fine instrument, and it is a 2nd. There are good and bad Dots made in every plant, so you really need to check out each guitar individually. I wouldn't take a blanket statement like that with any salt.

The new China Plant is owned by Epiphone. Not so with the Korean made models of years past. This actually should insure a consistently better product. But each guitar is an individual guitar. No two ever sound or feel exactly alike, close as modern engineering can get, but still slightly different.

I sold an Epiphone Les Paul, once, that I had replaced switches and pots in, used Gibson Historic tuners on and had a Gibson case for. It was in pretty minty shape, and I recall getting about $100

more than just the guitar new. So, even though not recovering all I had into it, I did OK, and the buyer appreciated not having to that work himself.

JC Willow.....how about a little background on the guitar in your avatar? Sure is pretty!

Thanks. It's an Epiphone '57 Junior RI. I got it a couple of months ago new. I put a GFS P90 in it, added black speed knobs and pointers, Grover Vintage Green Keystone tuners and a GFS Badass style wrap around bridge. I am gonna put the original bridge back on eventually cause the action is just a little higher than I like.

I'm seeing an ad that claims their Korean made DOT is better made than the new Chinese made and worth $500. True?

You'll see a lot of that Bull on eBay... Every other Bozo who's selling a used Korean Epi is using it's country of manufacture as a selling point... Even if the hype were true, the seller didn't pay more than $400 for his quality, Korean Dot.... So why should you??

You'll see a lot of that Bull on eBay... Every other Bozo who's selling a used Korean Epi is using it's country of manufacture as a selling point... Even if the hype were true' date=' the seller didn't pay more than $400 for his quality, Korean Dot.... So why should you??

[/quote']

Well, I agree about the selling point stuff. People will use whatever they have to boost the price of their instrument, real or imaginary. However, I know I paid more than $400 for a Dot I bought new back in either late 1999 or early 2000. That was at a smaller store, not a chain, but it wasn't much different from the bigger places at that time, either. And remember that even $400 back then was a bit more than $400 today. 'Just saying...

:D

This is something that has always gotten under my skin. These are the points I consider relevant:

Upgrades don't matter. If it doesn't have all the pieces and parts, its a body and should be priced accordingly. I'm probably going to modify it to suit my tastes, so why do I care what parts he put on it? The guy is selling it, obviously it didn't do for him what he thought it would, so why would I pay for his mistakes? My guide for buying used is: start with 1/2 its price new. Knock off for condition. Add for anything that I (not the seller) think is premium, finish, hardware, etc. Negotiate from there, not the seller's price. If you accept the sellers evaluation, you will always get too little and pay too much.

Archived