Gibson Brands Forums

g-400 '66 reissue

goldtop1281734016

I wish people would stop calling it a '66 reissue. It's pretty far from being that; basically it's the standard G-400, ostensibly a '62 SG, but with a "batwing" pickguard as introduced in 1966. However a true '66 reissue would also have the redesigned neck joint, not the "notched" '61 set up that the G-400 uses.

I wish people would stop calling it a '66 reissue. It's pretty far from being that; basically it's the standard G-400' date=' [i']ostensibly[/i] a '62 SG, but with a "batwing" pickguard as introduced in 1966. However a true '66 reissue would also have the redesigned neck joint, not the "notched" '61 set up that the G-400 uses.

True, and didn't the '66s have P90s? Regardless, I still have GAS for the LE 1966 G-400, or whatever it should be called. Not trying to be sarcastic, just gassing for one.

True' date=' and didn't the '66s have P90s? Regardless, I still have GAS for the LE 1966 G-400, or whatever it should be called. Not trying to be sarcastic, just gassing for one. [/quote']

Well, what it was, in those days, just like today, there were pretty much multiple SG models, i.e. the Custom, with three humbuckers, the Standard, with two humbuckers, the Special, with two P-90s, and the Junior, with one P-90. Nowadays they just slap humbuckers in the Special, but they use a 490T in the bridge instead of the hotter 498T. On the trivia side, it appears that while the Standard adopted the batwing PG in 1966, the Special didn't get it until 1967.

GAS away dude, don't let my anally retentive attention to detail stop you from getting what you need. ](*,)

Actually, I don't think Epiphone uses the term "reissue". I think they just call it a "1966" G-400, with the quotes, since, as I've pointed out, it's not really a 1966 model.

I have a cherry stained, highly varnished '66 Gibson SG standard copy G-400, an '07 model. It is sweet. Nice stock pickups and plays great, looks great, feels great. Someday I might replace the pickups, but they seem hot. The neck is more mellow. It was impossible to locate a new black one. They are really neat guitars and the sound of mine compared to five other Epi SG's was by far better. I was looking for a black one and got a LP Standard Plus Top in solid amber flammed maple, not burst. It is beautiful, plays beautiful, feels beautiful. I put Seymour Duncans in it: JB nickel covered in bridge and '59 nickel covered in the neck. Then I put half round D'darrio strings on it for an even mellower tone. I like it a lot. I also have a '06 LP standard, epi, with hot rodded SD pickups, uncovered black on it and it sounds spectacular as well. I play them thru a HRDx or the new Super Champ XD.

Lately I'm playing my Squire Standard tele walnut stain '07 and SX SST '57 strat copy thru the SCXD. Both sound really good. The SX is modded and the Squire tele is stock. It's fun.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Archived