Gibson Brands Forums

anyone have a birdseye lp?

evol04gt

Learn me somthin' here....How can you put a cap on a Strat? There's no binding on a Strat. Where would the seams or match lines be?...........J

Well' date=' first there were those 'Fotoflame' Strats that basically had a printed picture of a maple top laminated on them... which is one step down from a veneered top. There are/were some Squier deluxe Strats with quilted or flame 'tops' which were most likely veneered.

The better ones usually have a cap of about 1/8" thickness which is thin enough that it can be steamed and bent to follow the contour of the guitar top where it goes under your arm. Usually the finish darkens around the edges so as to hide the edge of the cap.

Here's a direct quote from the Fender site: "The American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT (i.e. Flame Maple Top) HSS guitar is a stunning example of classic Fender craftsmanship, [i']with a beautiful 1/8”-thick piece of solid flamed maple hand-bent to the top of the alder body[/i], plus a modern C-shaped maple neck with ebony fingerboard."

I have A 96 strat burst that I found out later has A veenered top. You can tell by looking at the back of the guitar,and if the black shadeing goes down to the bottom of the cotour, instead of following just the edge its been veenered. Stan.

Sorry to stick my nose in because I don't want to start something here' date=' but the proof is in the pics. Let's see it.[/quote']

I think I posted this before, but I had this custom made in '75 or '76. I chose the wood and had it built the way I wanted it. The tint is Tangerine done by Charvels, Alembic Strat-o-Blaster controlled by a toggle switch and CTS volume pot replacing the 2nd tone pot, shaved the neck waaaaaay thin and added jumbo frets. AND I had them cock the neck just a tad so I could play the 1st and 2nd string easier..........J

Birdseye001.jpg

Birdseye009.jpg

Birdseye020.jpg

BirdseyeAgain001.jpg

Birdseye019.jpg

Moreguts007.jpg

sorry JEPI= when i said that' date=' i was refferring to the les paul being a cap...lol... sorry for the ruckus[/quote']

No worries JP. (BTW - I'm originally from Ohio too), Have you ever checked out www.marksguitars.com ??? He's a lefty with a decent collection. Only one Epi that I could see but he might some help in your trek........J

Archived