Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 56 Gold top vs. Gibson 56 Gold Top - head to head

Funkwire

The big brown truck came to my house today and dropped off the Epi 56 gold top I snagged off of e-Bay. I took off the old strings, cleaned the fingerboard with Gorgomyte, popped out the pups to ensure they were Lindy Fralins (yep), and took off the back panel to check the electronics (Alpha 500K pots, 047mf caps...good to go). I changed out the stop bar for an early-80s Gibson TP-6 that was sitting in a drawer, re-strung it, tweaked the intonation, then put it through its paces.

I played it unplugged for quite awhile, because I like to hear the natural resonance of my electrics. This 56 Gold Top (made in Qingdao in December 2005) is very lively, with a crisp, woody tone that sustains well. The gold finish is beautiful, when it catches the light, the sparkle is incredible. Pictures really don't do this finish justice, you have to see it for yourself. The neck was great, didn't touch the truss rod or the action. It's set up low and fast (thank you, Inspector 1!).

When I plugged it in, I was even happier. The Fralin P-90s have the bite and snap you expect (and want) from this style of pickup, but they don't sound harsh. A really well-balanced, articulate pickup. The Gold Top didn't feel heavy to me at all...of course, after my Epi G-1275, NOTHING feels heavy to me anymore! I'd guess it's a little over 8 pounds...that's what the website lists them at.

I took the Epi down to Capitol Guitars in St. Paul. That's where I bought my G-1275. I knew they'd be interested in the guitar, and give me an honest opinion on it. I walk in the door, and what do I see hanging on the wall...a 2005 GIBSON 56 Gold Top re-issue!

I showed the Epi to the owners and they oohed and aahed. Then they encouraged me to do a comparison of the two.

OK, I am not exaggerating or imagining things. My Epi is the one I would have picked of the two. The Gibson is much heavier, and sounds dead acoustically. The neck is the thicker 60s profile, and it feels like a club next to the Epi neck. The Gibson P-90s sounded kind of...quacky, for lack of a better word. They weren't BAD, they had nice snap to them, but they were harsh compared to the Fralins.

The Gibby is going for $2100...almost five times what I paid for the Epi.

I told one of the owners my opinion. He said he gets a lot of Epiphones in his store for set up, new electronics, pickups, etc. He said the overall quality and construction over the last few years has been very consistent and impressive.

I'm a happy guy tonight...

thank you for that info.. im very very intrested in picking up a epi goldtop... i would love to had the site to where you got your pickups.. and stuff... and honstly im none to suprised that you say that about the epie over the gibby

I have to confess I'm a LITTLE surprised. I shouldn't be, because I have several guitars that I picked up for cheap that with a little tweaking and aftermarket parts became absolute monsters. So I'm not a believer in the "money = value" school of thought.

I just didn't think there would be that much of a difference between the Epi and the Gibby. Again, it's just my opinion, and it's just one Gibson 56 Gold Top. But I love my Epi Gold Top (OK, I've only had it for 12 hours, but still).

The Gibson didn't do anything for me.

Killer story.

In all honesty, after I played mine (also with the TP-6) I didn't even question the idea of comparing the two.

On the one hand I've always heard one is better than the other. On the other hand, how much better can it get?

On the other, other hand and as you mentioned, one's just a tad more expensive than the other too.

I dunno, guitars are like women, no 2 the same, and the one you got can be temperamental. My personal experience with either Goldtop (P90) was a good one, I got to try both, and while I am a little tone deaf from working in a shipyard for 7 years, they both had that characteristic snarl inherent in a P90'd guitar. I'd probably grab the Epiphone simply because it's cheaper, but what's in a name anyway? I'd say you got a good score, enjoy the way that thing'll howl when you push yer amp.

I got close to purchasing one las week one had the painted back and one had the mahogany showing. the painted one was super light and sounded horrible the one with the mahogany showing was alright and was super heavy which is a good thing in my opinion but didnt suit my needs so i bought a tobacco burst standard

Are most of these 56 Gold Tops made in China? Don't the originals have orange toggle switches and gold speed knobs?

6c51_3.JPG

Yes, the Gibsons have amber tips on the toggle switch and gold speed knobs with the position indicators underneath.

I've already put an amber tip on my toggle switch. I don't care for the gold knobs so much.

I thought the 60's neck was thinner than the 50's.

Anyways' date=' I would love to have an Epi Goldtop, but I spent my money on a Valve Junior.[/quote']

I think you're right...my mistake.

I played the Goldtop through a modded VJ (into a vintage Fender 2 x 12" cab) the other day. A match made in heaven!

Yes' date=' the Gibsons have amber tips on the toggle switch and gold speed knobs with the position indicators underneath.

I've already put an amber tip on my toggle switch. I don't care for the gold knobs so much.[/quote']

The '56 Goldtop had gold top hat knobs, the gold speed knobs were on '52 to '55 (or maybe '54) models.

Chris

Not an unusual experience...but not the usual result either.

It would never surprise me to find that a particular Epiphone guitar, especially if kitted out with such nice pickups, outperformed an example of the equivalent Gibson.

But don't forget that the Gibson will usually be better.

You obviously compared a better than average Epi with a slightly below par Gibson.

They are often close enough for sample variability to make the difference...whatever folks might tell you.

Lumps of wood don't know how much they cost or what they're supposed to sound like. ;^)

Yes' date=' the Gibsons have amber tips on the toggle switch and gold speed knobs with the position indicators underneath.

I've already put an amber tip on my toggle switch. I don't care for the gold knobs so much.[/quote']

The Gibsons (like the original '56) also have a wraparound tailpiece with no tune-o-matic, but I prefer the tune-o-matic from an intonation standpoint. I've really been interested in these lately and all the good I'm reading about them isn't helping!

The Gibsons (like the original '56) also have a wraparound tailpiece with no tune-o-matic' date=' but I prefer the tune-o-matic from an intonation standpoint. I've really been interested in these lately and all the good I'm reading about them isn't helping!

[/quote']

The Gibson I played had a TOM and stop bar.

Sorry to tempt you with this thread...I got serious GAS for a Gold top with P-90s about a month ago and had to jump on the one I found!

The Gibsons (like the original '56) also have a wraparound tailpiece with no tune-o-matic...

Not quite. The 1952 LP GT (the original Les Paul) had a trapeze bridge/tailpiece which apparently was Mr. Paul's only real contribution to the design. By 1954 they had scrapped this abortion and switched to a wraparound bridge/tailpiece combination which was at least height adjustable. The 1956 model introduced the ABR-1 Tune-o-matic bridge and in 1957 they switched to humbucking pickups. 1958 saw the first 'burst LPs, with the flametops appearing at the end of 1958, leading up to the 1959 model which is universally considered as the definitive Les Paul; and the rest, as they say, is history.

Not quite. The 1952 LP GT (the original Les Paul) had a trapeze bridge/tailpiece which apparently was Mr. Paul's only real contribution to the design.

You are correct, sir. The rest of the guitar was designed by Ted McCarty...who also designed the Explorer...Flying V...Moderne...his day job was president of Gibson.

There should be a statue of him somewhere!

Archived