Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio

Fadedepi

I've got serious GAS for a Dot Studio. I searched for earlier Dot topics, and couldn't find a specific thread. I have a G-400, want a semi-hollow body. The price is right, is the Dot Studio?? Your comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks, Faded Epi

I've heard lutheirs say.. colored rosewood is NOT less good in any way.. it's just a standard preference for buyers.

but the quality of the wood is in no way indicated by the color.

I think Taylor has some opinion on this at their website.

I have a really sweet strat neck with some red streaks in it that I put on a brazilian mahogany body and it's just fantastic.

and the color can vary quite a bit. from a uniform dark to lighter shades to streaks.. some will even have very dark streaks as well as red to reddish pink.

stew mac has a product called ebanol which allows you to stain them permanently nearly black yourself..

• 5 weeks later...

I almost bought a standard Dot instead of my Strat. Good chances are my next guitar will be a Dot. I played both the standard and an upgraded version with gold hardware and whatnot. I liked the upgraded one a lot, but I don't remember what it was called. For a while, Musician's Friend was selling it for the same price as the standard Dot. It's not there at all anymore.

I definitely prefer the standard Dot to the Dot Studio. Sounds, looks, etc are all better IMO. It's an extra 10% on the price, though...

I've got serious GAS for a Dot Studio. I searched for earlier Dot topics' date=' and couldn't find a specific thread. I have a G-400, want a semi-hollow body. The price is right, is the Dot Studio?? Your comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks, Faded Epi

[/quote']

If you're in So Cal, check out Craig's List (either OC or LA, can't remember). Yesterday someone had a Dot Studio for $199.00.

Wrong viewpoint' date=' Obed! Correct way to look at it (if you want the guitar)? 10% more guitar for the slightly more money.

[/quote']

Heh... so true! Especially in this price range! Chances are I'd spend more than that difference on a case or strap!

Archived