Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio

Fadedepi

I've got serious GAS for a Dot Studio. I searched for earlier Dot topics, and couldn't find a specific thread. I have a G-400, want a semi-hollow body. The price is right, is the Dot Studio?? Your comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks, Faded Epi

2187787660_44d1776abc_b.jpg

I love mine. Great sound, it was 150 used at GC, and all the 'new' ones I tested came nowhere near this in setup quality, there were a few minor issues, but I had a local luthier fix all that needed to be done and it was around 45 extra to fine tune it.

Definitely alot of guitar for the $.

I've heard lutheirs say.. colored rosewood is NOT less good in any way.. it's just a standard preference for buyers.

but the quality of the wood is in no way indicated by the color.

I think Taylor has some opinion on this at their website.

I have a really sweet strat neck with some red streaks in it that I put on a brazilian mahogany body and it's just fantastic.

and the color can vary quite a bit. from a uniform dark to lighter shades to streaks.. some will even have very dark streaks as well as red to reddish pink.

stew mac has a product called ebanol which allows you to stain them permanently nearly black yourself..

• 5 weeks later...

I almost bought a standard Dot instead of my Strat. Good chances are my next guitar will be a Dot. I played both the standard and an upgraded version with gold hardware and whatnot. I liked the upgraded one a lot, but I don't remember what it was called. For a while, Musician's Friend was selling it for the same price as the standard Dot. It's not there at all anymore.

I definitely prefer the standard Dot to the Dot Studio. Sounds, looks, etc are all better IMO. It's an extra 10% on the price, though...

I've got serious GAS for a Dot Studio. I searched for earlier Dot topics' date=' and couldn't find a specific thread. I have a G-400, want a semi-hollow body. The price is right, is the Dot Studio?? Your comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks, Faded Epi

[/quote']

If you're in So Cal, check out Craig's List (either OC or LA, can't remember). Yesterday someone had a Dot Studio for $199.00.

Wrong viewpoint' date=' Obed! Correct way to look at it (if you want the guitar)? 10% more guitar for the slightly more money.

[/quote']

Heh... so true! Especially in this price range! Chances are I'd spend more than that difference on a case or strap!

Archived