Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone remember the Epiphone "Professional" ???

JayGLongBeach

There was an Al Caiola model in '63 and this looks a variation of that one.

Using slide switches instead of rotary switches seemed to be the thing

to do back in those days. Kinda reminds me of the Gibson Switchmaster,

which turned out not to be too popular with the pros..too many switches,

and they would have to stop concentrating on playing to figure out

what tone they were looking for.

Sliding your little picking finger around a tone control is a lot easier in the

middle of a melodic line than fiddlin' with a bunch of switches.

Ergonomically speaking, the looks aren't as clean as the classical

3 way-4 pot look

1 pickup and all those knobs and switches?

Those switches were a stupid idea IMHO...and UGLY too. Why mount reverb and tremelo controls for the amp on a guitar? Most reverb and trem settings are set and forget anyway. I hope they were relay controlled and not sending signal back up into the guitar??

Guitar manufacturers were trying all kinds of silliness back in the '60s. Guitars with amp controls, guitars for girls, guitars made out of masonite... guitars in the shape of trailers... no, waitaminit, that was four years ago.

1 pickup and all those knobs and switches?

Those switches were a stupid idea IMHO...and UGLY too. Why mount reverb and tremelo controls for the amp on a guitar? Most reverb and trem settings are set and forget anyway. I hope they were relay controlled and not sending signal back up into the guitar??

Back in the 6os the "Greatest Guitar Factory in the World" was experimenting with different

ideas. Seth Lover was put in charge of developement of Gibson Amps. Epiphone Amps

possibly. Some of the ideas, like the Gibson Vari-tone Amp using push-button switches

on the amp instead of rotary controls was developed.

Some of the amps had 5 inputs two per channel and the 4th one being high level.

It is possible that a stereo jack cord could control both the gain on the tip of the jack and the trem/reverb on the ring side of the guitar cord, (for convenience),dependng on what efx the musician was interested in.

This is similar to the standard foot switch used on amps nowdays for reverb/efx.

Back then (mid 60s) Gibson was competing with F*nd*r with amps and they were trying to

outdo each other with novel ideas..some the musicians accepted these innovations while others were not.

"Why mount reverb and tremelo controls for the amp on a guitar? Most reverb and trem settings are set and forget anyway."

the idea was to vary the sound...therefore having reverb / trem controls on the guitar would enable

mid-song adjustment, like a pedal...

the gibson switchmaster was made from 55-61 and also reissued in recent years...many professional used it,

such as carl perkins and chuck berry, and I've seen references to it being used by jimmy page, eric clapton, and billy gibbons...also favored by rockabilly players

Carl_Perkins_56_Gibson_ES-5.jpg

as for weird switches, the fender jaguar was quite popular

and remains so...

"Why mount reverb and tremelo controls for the amp on a guitar? Most reverb and trem settings are set and forget anyway."

the idea was to vary the sound...therefore having reverb / trem controls on the guitar would enable

mid-song adjustment' date=' like a pedal...

the gibson switchmaster was made from 55-61 and also reissued in recent years...many professional used it,

such as carl perkins and chuck berry, and I've seen references to it being used by jimmy page, eric clapton, and billy gibbons...also favored by rockabilly players

[img']http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar/Carl_Perkins_56_Gibson_ES-5.jpg[/img]

and remains so...

Yeah I know...but ugly! Danny Gatton also had a big old box with leslie and delay controls that he mounted on his guitar for quick "on the fly stuff". I'm not knocking the innovators of the age...but they did come up with some funky stuff. I'm about to mount an on board analog delay in an old electra I'm re-doing...so I should talk right?=D>

the gibson switchmaster was made from 55-61 and also reissued in recent years...many professional used it' date='

and remains so... [/quote']

The 60's were a great time for innovation, Flying V, the Explorer, Firebird and of course the famous LP/SG.

Although there are some radical customs out there, pretty much most of the recent

manufacturers are basing their designs on the Gibson Classics, including Epiphone.

Back then the Flying V was created as a NAMM attraction..something radical was

the way Ted McCarty wanted it.

Dealers came in and bought them on the spot to hang in their guitar shop windows...

later on in a few years they became more acceptable as serious instruments,

not just window curiosities.

Albert King , one of the famous Three Blues Kings, played a Flying V (Lucy) and upside down at that,

because he was left handed.

Now that is innovation on two planes, the instrument and the style of playing.

Archived