Gibson Brands Forums

Seriously, is the Dot any good?

ant7629

Ok' date=' you have talked me into it!!! Think I am gonna go for a nice Cheery finish.

If I was to replace the pickups, what would you recommend?

Thanks[/quote']

GFS Vintage 59s. Excellent price and a great sounding set of pickups in a Dot. If you swap out the electronics, make sure you get an extended switchcraft 1/4" jack. The regular ones are too short.

I have a 2005 dot...and I love it...imho it is the same as any other epiphone guitar; an excellent guitar with crappy pups and electronics...deoxit has kept the stock pots and switch working crackle free, but their days are numbered...and the pups can be a muddy mess, good eq'ing of the amp can help this...but most players buy epiphones fully intending on upgrading these components...

$400 dot + $200-$300 in pup, pot, switch, jack upgrades = excellent comparable to any high end guitar

throw in another couple hundy for a new bridge, nut (dont upgrade the tuners, they are fine imho) and itll give any 335 a run for its money

My deal with Epi pickups is this: They are fine as long as you run them under 8. They crap out when you push them to 10. If you're a rhythm player, they'll probably be very adequate. If you need those biting lead tones for solos, good luck there. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't say they are 'bad' pickups, it's just that there a lots & lots of them out there that are much better, including just about all of the GFS pickups which sell for around $30 apiece.

Ok' date=' you have talked me into it!!! Think I am gonna go for a nice Cheery finish.

If I was to replace the pickups, what would you recommend?

Thanks[/quote']

Talk you into it - man I just talk it down=d> No go with what you desire - i just love the Sherri compared to the dot =D>

If I was to replace the pickups' date=' what would you recommend?[/quote']

Well, if you want it to sound a lot like a current Gibson Dot, pop in a pair of '57 Classics; that's what Gibson installs in their Dots. For that matter any PAF style pickup such as Gibson Burstbuckers, Seymour Duncan '59s or Dimarzio PAFs will be good for that classic ES-335 tone. From that point it's up to you; there's nothing stopping you from throwing something hotter in the bridge position if that's what you are looking for. I'm sure a Seymour Duncan JB would kick butt in the bridge position of a Dot without going 'over the top'. Or you could even do a Tom Delonge and put in a Gibson Dirty Fingers.

Archived