Gibson Brands Forums

She's so heavyyyy..................

brad1

For the first time today I was able to weigh my (06) EE G400 and was wondering what the average weight of those might be. I've looked on the Epi website and searched around but can't find any info on it.

The G400 weighed in at 7.42 lbs.

Just wondering where that was in relation to other 400's.

My 97 SG Jr. was 5.7 lbs.

Almost as light as my Washburn acoustic at 4.5 lbs.

Anybody know the average weight of one of these? (I know they're not all exactly the same)

What do your guitars weigh? :)

P.S. Svet, Jerry, and all of you that have 20+ guitars are excluded from the question. (unless you know)

That's remarkable for a G400! My Epi LP is only about 8 ounces more!!! I wish it were heavier, too - the heavier the better for me. Not sure if it's psychological or if the tone actually is better, but I always like the tone on a heavy guitar.

Is yours still top-heavy/bottom-light like most G400's?

That's remarkable for a G400! My Epi LP is only about 8 ounces more!!! I wish it were heavier' date=' too - the heavier the better for me. Not sure if it's psychological or if the tone actually is better, but I always like the tone on a heavy guitar.

Is yours still top-heavy/bottom-light like most G400's?[/quote']

Yes, it definitely is neck heavy like all SG's. And I thought 7.4 lb might be on the heavy side of the spectrum. But I wasn't sure. I was actually a little happy to see it weigh that much. The first thing I thought was, "hmm...maybe some good wood..."

Who else knows the weight of their SG, LP, or other Epi?

Is it heavier or lighter than others you've played?

And I thought 7.4 lb might be on the heavy side of the spectrum.

It definitely is for a G400. Not that I've weighed them (because I've never owned one), but my LP weighs 8 lbs, and the G400's I've tried seem to weigh FAR less than my LP. Honestly, I so favor heavy guitars that I'd probably buy a 7.42 lb G400 ON THE SPOT if I found one!!! I found a REALLY weighty and rich-sounding ash telecaster a couple of days ago and almost walked out of the store with it!

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's psychological or real, but the heavier ones always sound better to me.

7.4 lbs is a tad on the heavy side. Both my Elitist SG and my Epi LP Special tip the scales at 7 lbs; I'll have to double-check but I believe my Gibson SG Classic is 7 lbs also. I had a G-400 that was closer to 8 lbs once and it struck me as rather heavy.

My scale has to be broken. It says my G-400 weighs 10 pounds...

It's a lot more accurate if you weigh yourself with and without the guitar. I don't think bathroom scales are too accurate at the low end with only the guitar on the scale.

It's a lot more accurate if you weigh yourself with and without the guitar. I don't think bathroom scales are too accurate at the low end with only the guitar on the scale.

Now it says the guitar weighs about 7 lbs. That sounds way more accurate.

I actually went out and bought one of those 25 lb fishing scales. Pretty accurate (although a 12 lb unit would have been better; these scales are most accurate near the limit of their capacity) and indicates down to 1/4 lb; technically you could probably read off to the nearest 1/8th of a pound.

Archived