Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Spud Look at This!

layboomo

Actually, I believe you'll find that that striping is from the routing process. Since there are doing it with a CNC machine these days, it basically takes very shallow cuts as it goes around and around making the cavity. What you are seeing is the edge of each cut.

What I like is the cheapass caps that Gibson uses. So much for improving your tone with boutique capacitors.

I think it's a multiplex body' date=' and they managed to route exactly between the layers... what did I win?[/quote']

But I scratched the paint off in a few spots in the pickup cavity and it's solid wood...no ply's?? It's almost like the control cavity has a plywood insert...very strange.

Actually' date=' I believe you'll find that that striping is from the routing process. Since there are doing it with a CNC machine these days, it basically takes very shallow cuts as it goes around and around making the cavity. What you are seeing is the edge of each cut.

What I like is the cheapass caps that Gibson uses. So much for improving your tone with boutique capacitors.[/quote']

Yup those are coming out next there guy!!! Thanks that makes sense......I know it's a cheap gibson but plywood ....c'mon! LOL

Actually' date=' I believe you'll find that that striping is from the routing process. Since there are doing it with a CNC machine these days, it basically takes very shallow cuts as it goes around and around making the cavity. What you are seeing is the edge of each cut.

[/quote']

Hmm, could be... I remember seeing either the Gibson or Epiphone routing process on a little quicktime and it was one go.

30 something cuts wouldn't be very cost effective anyway. And why doesn't it show on the PU cavity? Weird.

What I like is the cheapass caps that Gibson uses. So much for improving your tone with boutique capacitors.[/quote']

I'm tending to agree with RotcanX, here. Routers can (and often) do that! You might even be able to feel it?

CB

I'm tending to agree with RotcanX' date=' here. Routers can (and often) do that! You might even be able to feel it?

CB[/quote']

Thats exactly what it is and you can feel it...but you gotta admit it sure as hell looks laminated at first glance?

Archived