Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green mod question.

Dr. Killmore

Was he a "Mod" or a "Rocker"?

No, just kidding.

I am about to do the Peter green mod to my stock Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and I have a few questions concerning flipping the magnet. Do I have to heat up or cut through the solder on the back plate? I have heard that you can just pop the solder joint apart with a flat head screwdriver. Is this true? Also, I am pretty sure these pickups are wax potted. What problem is that going to pose durring this process?

If anyone has done this mod before or is experienced at swapping pickup magnets I can sure use your advice.

Thanks ahead of time.

I've found that yes, you can just pop the solder joints with a flat screwdriver. It tends to crease the cover a bit though.

Once you have the cover off, loosen the four screws on the backplate which hold the bobbins down. Don't remove them, we only need to slack off the pressure on the magnet so that you can slide it out and flip it around. Even with the wax you should be able to push it out with a screwdriver; just be ultra careful not to break any wires. Turn the magnet around so that the ends are reversed; keep the vertical orientation as it is. Re-tighten the screws and replace the cover (if you want) and off you go.

You may want to rotate the pickup as well' date=' to complete the look... :-)[/quote']

Yeah, I might do that. But, then again, it might drive me crazy looking at it like that. I get a little on the obsesive compulsive side sometimes when it comes to my guitars. But, I guess we all do. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

Yeah' date=' I might do that. But, then again, it might drive me crazy looking at it like that. I get a little on the obsesive compulsive side sometimes when it comes to my guitars. But, I guess we all do. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.[/quote']

Just curious here . A bar magnet has N-S poles. The h-bucker coils are RWRP (reverse wound

reverse polarity). So if you flip the bar magnet around, the N coil becomes the S coil

and visa versa..so what's the difference between this and just adding a phase

switch?

Archived