Gibson Brands Forums

Only Epiphones are made in Guangdong, China right?

eyesonly

Hi, I'm in Australia and I emailed an eBay seller about his claims of EXP guitars being made in the Epiphone factory. I queried if he meant Guangdong, China and yes he claims this is the case. I find it extremely unlikely that this is true and I don't think he should be using the fine Epiphone name to pedal his copies.

EXP Guitars on eBay Australia (He claims made by Epiphone)

:-k ?

An Epiphone, without that annoying Epiphone headstock or name!

If you want a fake Epiphone, get an Agile. They're cheaper because the Koreans don't get their mahogany shipped in all the way from Canada...the Philippines are so much closer.

I'm betting that the Canadian Mahogany Les Paul is the heaviest Les Paul model ever. Look here.

Ahhhh - Canadian mahogany.........reminds me how much I love to visit Canada's tropical rain forests.

I Googled "EXP guitars" and found NOTHING. Just another made-up brand for the gazillions of Chinese knock-off guitars.

Guangdong (Postal map spelling: Kwangtung) is a province on the southern coast of China. The provincial capital of Guangzhou and economic hub Shenzhen are among the most populous and important cities in China. No Epiphone factories owned by Gibson.

Qingdao; well-known to the West by its Postal map spelling Tsingtao, is a sub-provincial city in eastern Shandong province, People's Republic of China. Lying across the Shandong Peninsula while looking out to the Yellow Sea, Qingdao today is a major seaport, naval base, and industrial center. It is also the site of the Tsingtao Brewery and the Gibson's Epiphone factory.

Guangdong No Epiphone factories owned by Gibson.

Qingdao the site of the Tsingtao Brewery and the Gibson's Epiphone factory.

Yes thankyou that's the place. I had actually looked it up on an Epiphone press release so I did use the correct city name in my message to him a while back.

From the press release it says...... Epiphone Press Release' date=' Qingdao factory opens[/url']

"...by October of 2002, the Epiphone only Gibson Qingdao factory had become a reality..."

The whole point of that factory at the time of the press release was to be an 'Epiphone only' manufacturing plant. I cannot find anything to substantiate these EXP guitars having anything to do with Epiphone.

Why would Epi make EXP guitars only to have this guy import them to Australia and sell them on eBay? Sounds like he's an Epiphoney!!

Hi,

My advice is to give eBay a miss completely. I too am in Australia and bought a 'guaranteed' genuine Epi LP Custom from a NZ seller. Received a nice looking guitar shipped from China with a 'valid' serial number. By the serial the guitar was produced over 12 months ago but still smelt of fresh paint. This set some alarm bells ringing and I removed the back cover to check it out a bit further. The paint under the cover was still wet to touch and although pretty well camouflaged with black conductive type paint could see that the body was made out of particle board. The truss rod was not tensioned yet there was no neck relief. Even tried some heavier strings to bow the neck a bit but it could still not be adjusted. While it looked nice it was a pretty ordinary instrument.

I managed to get all my money back from the seller including the return postage. No questions asked or argument wahtsoever. I've since looked at another eBay purchase made by one of my son's friends and it too is a particle board special. Sadly he paid some $650 for it and now has no comeback. With what I know now I can tell you that most of the eBay Oz listings (from other than local music shops) look to be fakes.

I've since purchased a genuine from a local dealer. Cost me more but I know it is real and I have a warranty (took it back last week to get a raised fret sorted).

The EXP might be ok but if you are getting misinformation on where it is made that is not a good start. Shop around and I'm sure you will find some good deals locally. I bought the Epi LP Custom for $799 which was pretty good compared to the RRP.

cheers,

RW

Gold Coast

Australia

An Epiphone' date=' without that annoying Epiphone headstock or name!

They're cheaper because the Koreans don't get their mahogany shipped in all the way from Canada...the Philippines are so much closer.

I'm betting that the Canadian Mahogany Les Paul is the heaviest Les Paul model ever. Look .[/quote']

And using that nice brown granite would add a new meaning to the term "Rock guitarist".

If you think a 10lb Les Paul is heavy enough, try hanging 40lb granite Canadian Mahogany guitar

around your neck!...but maybe the sustain would be worth it....and the nice thing is that the guitar

will serve as a headstone after you're gone. Just plant the neck in the ground and engrave the back.

So I guess,we Canadians have something else to be proud of, besides maple syrup, back bacon

and lumberjacks.:-/

I've heard of guitars being made of Canadian spruce and cherry. Those trees do

grow in Canada, besides the maple and walnut .

Archived