Gibson Brands Forums

Single humbucker+coil tap+3 way switch=Kill switch?

I'm tied up on a computer that doesn't have my autocad program on it tonite......so I'll do this with a couple stock pics.

Here is a standard 3 way switch 2 pup wiringpickups.gif You'll notice that the 2 center contacts are soldered together....for this application Don't do that! Bring red and white to one set of contacts and black and + volume control to the other set of contacts and then the rest is like this 1hum_1vol_1tone_split.jpg but without the added push pull switch. Pretty straight ahead .......not conventional but simple non the less. I'm surprised you had such a hard time visualizing it carverman.

Edit I left out 1 wire from white to ground sorry.....red and white stay together and in the other break position white goes to ground...Duh sorry!

OK I got a few minutes and this is doable....red and white are together on on one contact up it's humbucker' date='middle it's single coil and down it's kill. So you have red and white together and ground on one side and black and pos vol control on the other side......I started second guessing myself [-o< It's very much like this but with a second break position for the kill function. And you don't connect the center contacts like a standard LP switch![img']http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/layboomo/1hum_1vol_1tone_split.jpg[/img]

Hmm, I don't know huge amounts about electrical wiring-type stuff, bu it certainly looks and sounds right!

Okay, now that I know the wiring, what pickup should i use?

I'm leaning toward either Rockfield Select Wound Custom or a fat ***.

Both have 4-conductor wiring.

but I've heard alot on here about GFS pickups, what would you guys suggest?

I'm looking for (ideally) a P-90 tone tapped, and something good for blues and hard/classic rock on HB.

OK I got a few minutes and this is doable....red and white are together on on one contact up it's humbucker' date='middle it's single coil and down it's kill. So you have red and white together and ground on one side and black and pos vol control on the other side......I started second guessing myself :- It's very much like this but with a second break position for the kill function. And you don't connect the center contacts like a standard LP switch![/quote']

I would guess that you are using this SD diagram as an illustration of the way the switchcraft

3-way should be wired. In this diagram , all it's doing is lifting or connecting, the ground to the red/white (the end

of the windings for the N-S coils for SDs),which is what we discussed originally. ( I removed my original posts. )

Blk = start of N coil= hot Grn = start of S coil =gnd

So in the split mode, the S coil (actual reverse wound coil) is grounded out on both ends (wires) and the North

is used as the single coil.

To do this, the center contacts on the switchcraft 3-way need to be separated and we get as you say:

1. humbucker

2. Split (south coil grounded out)

3. Kill (ground applied to the 3-way contact that serves the other non-existant p_up.

I would guess that you are using this SD diagram as an illustration of the way the switchcraft

3-way should be wired. In this diagram ' date=' all it's doing is lifting or connecting, the ground to the red/white (the end

of the windings for the N-S coils for SDs),which is what we discussed originally. ( I removed my original posts. )

So in the split mode, the S coil (actual reverse wound coil) is grounded out on both ends (wires) and the North

To do this, the center contacts on the switchcraft 3-way need to be separated and we get as you say:

1. humbucker

3. Kill (ground applied to the 3-way contact that serves the other non-existant p_up. [/quote']

Hmmm...

Sounds complicated, but I'm SURE it'll be easier when I've altuall got soldiering iron in-hand and am looking at where the wires go, etc.

3-way should be wired. In this diagram ' date=' all it's doing is lifting or connecting, the ground to the red/white (the end

1. humbucker

3. Kill (ground applied to the 3-way contact that serves the other non-existant p_up. [/quote']

Thats correct....I used that diagram because it was the closest thing I could find and could not draw one last night. But yes the key is in wiring the 3 way without linking the center tabs to give you the extra break function......I thought it was kinda clever.....

Thats correct....I used that diagram because it was the closest thing I could find and could not draw one last night. But yes the key is in wiring the 3 way without linking the center tabs to give you the extra break function......I thought it was kinda clever.....

VERY clever.

I hope to do this when I get some time and post a whole thread about the wiring job.

What should I call the guitar?

Junior from hell?

Frankenjunior?

Lol.

• 11 years later...
On 5/29/2008 at 2:13 PM, layboomo said:

1. humbucker

Can anyone draw this up for me and tell me what switchcraft switch I need. All the pics are gone from this thread and I want to try this on a new guitar I just got.

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2020 at 5:40 AM, Pingone said:

Can anyone draw this up for me and tell me what switchcraft switch I need. All the pics are gone from this thread and I want to try this on a new guitar I just got.

I'm currently working on one, I'll post a diagram once I figure it out :P

The switch we are discussing is a tradition LP style 3 way toggle:

Amazon.com: Switchcraft 3-Way Short Toggle Switch w/ Genuine Switchcraft  Cream Tip: Musical Instruments

• 1 year later...