Gibson Brands Forums

An SG comparison---

stan 58

Both very beautiful.

That 2000 Custom has aged nicely.

Is that bridge original? it looks like it has the small Nashville style posts

some get those and I've seen Sheri's, Lucille's and a few others with them.

The '65 SG looks just like the Angus Young sig model with the trem and the witch-hat knobs.

Smoking original.

The control knob placements look different, but that '65 could be the culprit?Pickguard near the switch is virtually off the body, and the controls should be offset a bit more? Damn Nice though and who would really notice?

What I refer to as 'Gas Jones'.

I have Gas

and I Jones for new gear.

Here's my 2006 SG Custom (Korea I06012455)modded just slightly.

158400163.jpg

Good example of the differences in "beveling," on the bodies, and the interior horns (to neck) area.

The Vintage has much deeper and wider bevels, and a sharper upper horn, too. The Epi Custom is more

subtle, in both those areas. Also, as mentioned, the knobs are a bit different in location and configuration.

I've (personally) always preferred the "Vintage" specs, but they both are great looking.

Cool! Both, ARE really nice guitars, Stan!

Thanks, for the "side by side!"

CB

The control knob placements look different' date=' but that '65 could be the culprit?[/quote']

Riiiiight... the copy is correct and the original is wrong. :-

The big spacing on the switch is due to the fact that Gibson uses a right-angled selector; it has to be that far away. Epiphone cheats by making the bodies thicker so that they can accomodate a short, straight selector switch. And then they stick the knobs anywhere.

65SGcavity.jpg

image of control cavity from 1965 SG

Big difference in the shape of the upper cutaway.

And do we even need to mention the bevels?

Nice SG, Stan.

Thanks for the replys. To Mr. Jones, yes its the stock bridge, the only mods are a gibby neck PU and a new nut. It looks to me like your very nice lookin SG has a little sharper horns then mine, but its hard to be sure. I also think the 65 SG has a narrower waist the the epi, now that I look at it. And spud is right,the Epi is much thicker then the Gibby. The truth is I play the custom alot more then the Gibson. Stan.

I put together a similar comparison pic back when I was looking at the G-400 Maestro:

G400%20dance.gif

The G-400 in the pic was an EE; unfortunately the one I got was an Unsung and as such the knobs were not as nicely placed as on the EE.

Oh yeah. I'd love to have a VOS SG but even at my cost, they're just too expensive. Plus I'm not a huge whammy bar freak so the Epiphone version was good enough for me. Heck it mostly just sits in its case anyway.

Oh yeah. I'd love to have a VOS SG but even at my cost' date=' they're just too expensive. Plus I'm not a huge whammy bar freak so the Epiphone version was good enough for me. Heck it mostly just sits in its case anyway.[/quote']

Yeah, I hear THAT! (Re: prices)

But, the Epi is a great looking SG, as well. I only meant I "prefer" the Gibson's VOS specs.

Don't supposed I'll ever be able to "justify" that kind of expense, anymore, though. But,

one can dream!

CB

Riiiiight... the copy is correct and the original is wrong. :-

The big spacing on the switch is due to the fact that Gibson uses a right-angled selector; it has to be that far away. Epiphone cheats by making the bodies thicker so that they can accomodate a short' date=' straight selector switch. And then they stick the knobs anywhere.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/65SGcavity.jpg[/img]

image of control cavity from 1965 SG

Big difference in the shape of the upper cutaway.

And do we even need to mention the bevels?

Nice SG, Stan.

Yea

OK

I should've known i'd get tackled on that one.

LOL

They just may have done this one an injustice was all I meant.

The copy is just that.

A Copy.

Gibson make a mistake and it get out the door especially in '65 when Who would give a clue?

Never I'm Sure.

Gibson make a mistake and it get out the door especially in '65 when Who would give a clue?

Never I'm Sure.

The thing is' date=' there's an inherent [i']design[/i] to the control layout (at least when Gibson does it). You'll note that the switch, the two top controls and the jack are all on a line, and the two lower controls are on a parallel line. This underlying 'grid' makes the layout esthetically pleasing so that it looks 'right'. On the Epis, this is completely ignored and you get a disharmonious conglomeration of haphazardly-placed components. You don't know exactly why but it just doesn't look good.

Archived