Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pickup demos at PG

Biff

The free web version of Premier Guitar has a couple of videos of a Gibson rep demonstrating different pickups.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Gibson_Pickup_Demos_at_Gearfest_08.aspx

In a related story I see Seymour Duncan talks about pickups, it's a great online magazine!

Just finished with cleaning up the rats nest of wiring in my ?piphone LP Custom and installing the BB #1 in the neck position. Sweeeeeeeeee-et, with an nice edge from the unbalanced coils. Unbelievable, almost. I still have a GFS crunchy PAT in the bridge position until the BB #2 arrives, oh man that Burstbucker just blows the hot PAT away. I hope the BB#2 makes the same impact.

Subtle differences in the pickups reinforce what we have talked about over and over. Lots of us have spent $200 to change out perfectly good pickups. The difference in different models of the same brand aren't really that much, at least not enough that EG changes couldn't almost make up for the difference.

OTOH, the robot guitar demo, while impressive, is pretty useless for anyone who can tune themselves or step on a pedal to silent tune. I guess if you change tunings from song to song, it has its value since it eliminates the need for several guitars on stage. I can't help but think that someday in the future a band member will walk up to the mic and say, "Sorry for the delay folks, we have a robot servo failure and our guitar player is trying to figure out how to manually tune his guitar."

Subtle differences in the pickups is right. I have been trying to tell people who want to change out their pups that for years. It's more of what your plugged into than the pickups fault for "bad tone". Everyone wants instant gratification instead of finding the right pickup height, volume tone settings, or messing with their favorite settings on the amp or pedals.

The Amp is where 90 percent of the tone is. A guitar plugged into a 100 buck amp will not sound like the same guitar on a 2000 buck Mesa Boogie amp.

Factory pickups of today, for the most part, are better than pickups from 40 to 50 years ago.

Archived